•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

difference of areostar and b2 a4ld trany

igiveup

Reaction score
Hello

I own a 85 B2 (2.8l duraspark) and a 94 awd Areostar with 4.0l a4ld trany ( I think ) . I was thinking of putting the areostar trany into my B2. So what would I have to do to to make it work without a computer. Next summer I will drop in the 4.0l. But for now I would like to run 2.8 with the areostar trany for the winter.

igiveup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
You want to make an A4LD work without a computer?

Bad idea. You'll burn it up in no time without a torque converter clutch.

Heck, it's hard to get an A4LD to work WITH a computer.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Maybe a little more help for this chap is in order... for instance, is the shifter the same as in an RBV??? Myself, I do know that the trans from an Aerostar AWD is similar in many ways... IE: the AWD Aerostar only came with a 4,0 and the mounting for the transfer case is the same. I know the A4LD won't work rite w/o a computer and will eat it's self up, but maybe some info for the future is in order. Could help a few others out there yanno!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
the trannies are in basis the same.

if you want to run the a4ld without the pcm, there are a few ways to do it.

you can use a pressure switch to keep it auto, which is suggested so you dont leave the damn thing locked up and hurt it, or just manually lock the converter, or just live without full lockup. you will want the early style 1 solonoid valve body...and this is provided the aerostar is actually a a4ld and not a 4r setup.

you could hop up the 2.8 a lil and never hurt the late 4.0 a4ld with proper cooling.

igiveup

Reaction score
Hello

I just cooked the trany in the bronc2. Now if I rebuilt the VB in the bronco and put it into the areostar trany it should work. The areostar trany works great and it suppose to be built stonger from what I have heard and read. So any input?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
you need to carefully go thru the valve body....it is critical, i would go with an upgrade pr setup too...superior has a few good products for it.

basically all the good hardparts are already in the 94, but your valve body will be the weak link. it has to be done clinically clean and right.

seems you already have the a4ld in your 85, so make sure your tv system is operating correctly, it may have contributed to the failure...unless it was just the original unit. make damn sure to get a fresh torque converter and all new cooling lines, soak and flush the coolers both ways....i like to boilflush them, but it can be dangerous to the uninitiated.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
make sure you use your seperator plate and 85 compliant gaskets.

igiveup

Reaction score
Hello

So what Im going to do is use 85 VB rebuilt with a shift kit. Install it into the areostar trany with 85 gaskets and separator plate. I will be using the TCC from the areostar.
Any thing else I should add to it?

igiveup

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
After looking at my Aerostar A4LD transmission and comparing it to the Ranger/Bronco II transmission, I found out that the shifter is different between the two... nothing that can't be done at home. Just a heads up.

igiveup

Reaction score
Hello
After looking at my Aerostar A4LD transmission and comparing it to the Ranger/Bronco II transmission, I found out that the shifter is different between the two... nothing that can't be done at home. Just a heads up.
I will be using the VB from the B2 so the shifter problem is taken care of. I also stopped into a trany shop and the owner said that I should not have a problem. He has used the newer a4ld with the older VB and has not had any problems.

igiveup

Last edited:

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ok, here's the BIG difference between an Aerostar and a BroncoII/Ranger A4LD transmission.

Aerostar A4LD AWD shifter:

Ranger/BroncoII shifter

Not a hard part to swap out if you need to. Only quirk is the pin that holds the shifter into the case.

Shifter retention pin:

The swap of the shifter can be done without removing the valve body.

I hope that helps you and others in the future.

Last edited: