•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Grinding starter

muddacres

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I have a 88 bronco II. It was auto and we changed it to standard. The starter was sounding like the gear wasn't engaging in the flywheel far enough, the longer we drove it the worse it got, to the point it was just grinding and not turning over. I put a new starter on and the same thing to where it would just grind and not turn over. I replace the flywheel with a new one and the something all over again. My son let me use the transmission out of his ranger and the grinding noise is still there. What can I be missing. :icon_confused::icon_confused:
Jim

87Bronco2Ark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
If I'm not mistaking when you change from auto to manual you have to remove the spacer from behind the flywheel

87Bronco2Ark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I had the same problem with my b2 grinding and eventually having to buy new starters I went through three starters and finally decided it was my flywheel although many people said it wasent but anyway when I went to replace it I noticed my spacer was broken causing my flywheel to wobble I replaced the spacer and was fine, But in your case (and I may be wrong) i think you need to remove that spacer when switching from a auto to a manual tranny

muddacres

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Well I don't want to but my son and I are going to slide trans back and remove the flywheel. :annoyed:
Thanks
Jim

87Bronco2Ark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Let me know if that helps man and your welcome for the info I know what a pain that grinding sound is

87Bronco2Ark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
did my information help i am planing on doing a Manual swap myself and would like to know if i was correct

muddacres

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I took it out today and there is no spacer behind the flywheel. Still scratching my head. :annoyed:
Jim