•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Help!!!! B2 Turning over Problem...

hunterh2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey all,

So for starters id like to say i definitely don't pretend to be a mechanic.lol. But anyways, I purchased my new project (84' B2 4x4 v6) a couple days ago. I bought a new battery, put the distributor together and am now working with the carburetor.

He guy that had it before me said he had it running great, messed with the carburetor and then it kept dieing on him. I filled the little reservoir about half way till the floater was parallel to the deck. And after putting the air horn piece to the carburetor back together. I went to start the engine and it slowely started turning over and i got it to run!!! for like 5 seconds. Then it died on me and i couldnt get it started again(the rod that connects to the rounded valves that open up was not connected for this).

I attached the guide rod and it with the throttle fully open the valve only opens about 1/8 an inch to let air in...Im pretty sure at full throttle it should be open fully correct? This must be an air problem Correct?(Cause when i got it started then began to let off the gas the valve was still open(cause no guide rod attached) so that would make it die right? Or is it more likely something else like spark plugs?

PLEASE HELP!!!
Thank you.

Another thing... If i continued to work with it tryin to get it to run i probably flooded it didnt I? What do i do about that? thanks

B2 Addict

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Not exactly sure what you are describing. The "rounded valves", I am guessing are the "butterflies" in the carb, I have had issues where mine would not start & the butterflies were closed completely, I would just use a pencil or something similar to hold them open, try that & hit it with a couple shots of starting fluid,pump the accelerator a few times then hold the accelerator to the floor & try to start it app. 5 seconds or so, if it doesn't start, try pumping it 5 or 6 times, hold it to the floor & try starting it again. Starting fluid can be your friend or your enemy, do not overdo it.

I am not a mechanic obviously, just sharing my experience. My problem was caused by a sticking choke, without being there I can't honestly say what is wrong with yours but that is where I would start. Sounds honestly like you may have another problem, but you can give it a shot.

If you are not real sure what you are doing, see if you can get a friend or somebody that has an idea to help you out doing this because if it for some reason backfires through the carb it can start a fire. Not a really big deal, you can usually just blow it out or smother it, but if you don't know what you are doing you will panic.:icon_surprised: Good luck, maybe someone else will offer advice on here & correct me if I'm wrong.

hunterh2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks... I worked on the B2 and got it up and running now. It was my distributor. the guy that had it before me had the spark plug wires crossed.lol. But now i cant get the thing to drive smoothly. it will idol just fine. but anytime i give it gas is almost dies on me. If i open the throttle very slowely i can get it moving just enough to back up and move around a parting lot...Could This be the Choke Sticking?

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
could be. one way to check is to remove the air cleaner and pump the gas a few times. there should be a single butterfly up at the top of the carb. if its closed after you pump it then it is probably the choke.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
sounds like the accelerator pump is either not working or is out of adjustment.

hunterh2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Looking at the B2 today, has a new fuel filter on it, And i don't know how to adjust the carb so that the butterfly opens all the way when the throttle is opened. it only opens a max of about 1/3 an inch. I cannot find any places that would allow me to tighten or lossen any screws to make this happen. I have looked at the diagram of the carb and cant figure it out. Im looking into the accelerator pump in the morning. Thanks again guys.