•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Help diagnosing engine trouble.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
an aftermarket code scanner on an EEC-IV vehicle is a total waste of money. you can pull codes and do basic self tests with a paper clip and only a real STAR tester will do datalogging.

HndMeDnBroncoII

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BroncoII
Engine Size
an aftermarket code scanner on an EEC-IV vehicle is a total waste of money. you can pull codes and do basic self tests with a paper clip and only a real STAR tester will do datalogging.
yes but as our young friend has said he is still learning so for him starting out a paper clip will be areal pain in his backside.And iwas refering to the aftermarket scanner pulling the soft codes it isnt very often you actually have need to check for the hard codes which of course needs the dealers drb

we could always show up at his house and show how to diagnose properly but its a little to far lol:icon_rofl::icon_cheers:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
there arent that many aftermarket scanners that will "talk" to a ford EEC-IV computer....its not like an OBDII scanner.

"hard" and "soft" codes? you mean continuous memory and self test codes? both can be pulled with a paper clip. there are no codes that you cant retrieve with a paper clip. aftermarket scanners are absolutely unnecissary for an EEC-IV vehicle.

sweetwaterbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
It has only happened on long drives...if I drive it around town, it funs great...if I get on the interstate to go to work, that is whenit acts up....

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
could the rattling your hearing possibly be spark knock? that could indicate your timing is jumping forward for some reason (a dizzy or TFI issue).

sweetwaterbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
The ticking is constant while the problem is going on....it doesn't increase or decrease with acceleration or deceleration......

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
those symptoms sure do sound consistant with a drop in oil pressure, like others have suggested. it might be worth your time to varify the oil pressure with an aftermarket gauge just to be sure.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
The only hard thing about an aftermarket oil pressure gauge install? Is where they put the sending unit you'll have to remove and replace with the fitting for the oil pressure gauge "Tube". If you have a set of car ramps? It's probably not to bad. The sending unit on the 2.9's is located just about under the power steering pump. The engine probably has a 2" long (or there abouts) extension on the engine port that has the sending unit screwed into it.

What we did with ours? Was to hit Napa for some plumbing hardware, and we made a "T" coming off the port. One end of the "T" goes to a new sending unit (pretty cheap to replace) The other end goes to the adapter/tube for the physical replacement gauge, and the other end screws into the port itself.

Nickles worth of free advice when installing the tube: KEEP IT AWAY FROM THE EXHAUST AND ANY/ALL MOVING PARTS! :) If the tube melts or tears? Yer gonna have such a mess.....

S-

sweetwaterbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Thanks for the advice...What would be the problem if it is showing low oil pressure, the oil pump or a bad engine?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
if you dont plan on perminently installing the gauge, you can just unplug and remove the factory sending unit for now. then screw the tube for your mechanical gauge into the factory port.

low oil pressure is usually a worn oil pump or bad bearings. what grade oil did you use in the last oil change?

sweetwaterbroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I can't recall....10w30 I believe...My dad bought all the parts for me because I hasd just had back surgery prior to having the engine put in....