•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Help!!!! Ignition Switch Problems

hdbosshog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
:bawling: I have a major issue I can not figure out. My sons 84 Bronco ll 2.8 Liter will only runwhile ignition is in the start ie Starter ingaged position. I can not find any broken wires anywhere. Fuse box fuses are OK and have been changed. Is there a fusible link somewhere? Where can I look for the problem?

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I had a similar problem on an 85 2.8 BII, it turned out to be a worn out ignition switch. The motor would start right up, but as soon as you 'unturned' the key back to 'Run', the motor would die.

When you turn the key, it moves the internals on the ignition switch so they contact the corrcet wires. The copper in my switch was worn out/dirty so when in 'Run' it wasn't making good contact with the wires, making it only work if you had the key in the perfect spot. I would take it out and see how it looks.

I beleive it is on top of the steering column under the dash(not sure on the old ones)

Last edited:

Flat Toy

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/2.5
Check the four metal ears holding the plastic onto the bottom of the switch. Over the years they get weak and let the switch split apart.
This is on my 86

hdbosshog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Flat Toy

Check the four metal ears holding the plastic onto the bottom of the switch. Over the years they get weak and let the switch split apart.

My 84 looks basically the same. Are the metal ears on the keyed portion as seen once you remove the keyed unit? Or am I looking at something different.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
He means the ears holding the whitish plastic peice to the metal one, the one that is being held on by white zip-ties.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size

hdbosshog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks guys the switch was the problem. I yied it up with wire ties and it started working just fine. We will replace it this weekend. Do you need to use the shear head screws to replace it?