•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Hinge Pins - Spare Tire Carrier

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I want to remove the spare tire carrier to repaint it. Having difficulty trying to knock out large hinge pins after removing the retaining circlips at the bottom of the pins. Pounding hard with a fat drift and 2 lb hand sledge doesn't budge them. Got em soaking with PB Blaster for now. Perhaps I need to apply some heat due to the rust???

Any tips?

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
why cant you unbolt the whole thing?

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I will unbolt it after I remove the hinge pins. I don't want to scratch the paint while ratcheting out the last 2 bolts. No helper to hold it either.

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ahh... i see. sorry i cant help.

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Can't you just take the tire off it and then leave it latched in place as if you were gonna drive down the road? Then undo the bottom bolts, then the top ones while you hold the tire carrier in place, and you can just lift it off. It isn't that heavy!

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I was planning on having the whole thing powder coated, including the catch bracket. I have already removed the catch bracket thinking that the hinge pins could be driven out after removing the retaining circlips. This morning after soaking the pins with PB Blaster and heating up the hinge...the pins still won't budge. I will be extremely careful when unbolting the whole unit to not scratch anything.
Thanks Mtrhd and to the previous responders on this one! Consider this a closed topic.

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Mtrhd

I see that you are in Northern Ireland. Are ya in Belfast? I'm two generations removed from the Ballymoney-Cloughmills area.

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I was planning on having the whole thing powder coated, including the catch bracket. I have already removed the catch bracket thinking that the hinge pins could be driven out after removing the retaining circlips. This morning after soaking the pins with PB Blaster and heating up the hinge...the pins still won't budge. I will be extremely careful when unbolting the whole unit to not scratch anything.
Thanks Mtrhd and to the previous responders on this one! Consider this a closed topic.
No problem, and powder coating would defo be the way to go! :icon_thumby:

I see that you are in Northern Ireland. Are ya in Belfast? I'm two generations removed from the Ballymoney-Cloughmills area.
I'm living in Co. Fermanagh at the minute, which is in the south west corner of Northern Ireland. I'm familiar with Ballymoney though, I've been there a couple times, and almost headed up to that area yesterday. Also my grandfather was stationed at an air base right outside of Ballymoney during WWII. Ever been over this way?

I'm like 3 generations removed from an area just south of Dublin. The origional homestead is still there, and was inhabited until about 15 years ago. I visited it last year and found out that the man who used to live there caught the place on fire, presumably with his pipe, and burned to death. His daughter now lives beside the house, which is still standing (its cut stone, my great great grandfather? built it) but it has been left there only to use as a barn. My dad was fortunate enough to visit around 20 years ago when the guy (and we believe a distant relative) was still living there.

So anyway, its cool knowing where your family came from, I'm moving back to High Point NC in just over a month, so although its been exciting living here, I'm looking forward to getting back to my "real" home!

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well Erin go braghless! Haven't visited Eire yet but plan to in a couple years. Cool that your grandpa was stationed there...Army Air Corps? Did he fly? If so, what plane? My dad flew thunderbolts back then. On getting back to NC...probably be a few degrees warmer and a lot drier ehh?
PS: we have the same exact vehicle down to the color; take care and thanks

Mtrhd0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well Erin go braghless! Haven't visited Eire yet but plan to in a couple years. Cool that your grandpa was stationed there...Army Air Corps? Did he fly? If so, what plane? My dad flew thunderbolts back then. On getting back to NC...probably be a few degrees warmer and a lot drier ehh?
PS: we have the same exact vehicle down to the color; take care and thanks
Ermm yea he was in the 8th Army Air Corps but didn't actually end up flying fighters/bombers during the war. He got his pilots license at 16, joined the air corps (actually about 2 days after he was drafted into the army, they just back-dated his air corps enrollment form :D :icon_thumby:)and went to basic flight training where he solo'd in 3 hours. According to a letter he recieved from his flight instructor years after the war ended, that was the fastest he'd seen anyone solo throughout WWII.

So for whatever reason he didn't end up flying during WWII, but he was put in charge of that air base which as far as I know was kinda like a depot for all the new airplanes? From what I heard, they would be flown over from America, parked at that air base, and then when planes were shot down in combat, he would send them out wherever they needed to go.

So yea, he never saw combat, but that pretty much sparked a whole career in aviation. Due to his career path, he became good friends with Eddie Rickenbacker, Frank Borman, and Bill France to name a couple, so there were certainly always interesting storys to be told! He died there in late January very unexpectedly after he fell in his house, but he was doing pretty well before that, at least for a man of almost 87.

So where was your dad stationed then? I'm sure he's told you some interesting stories as well! haha!

And yea, I'm really looking forward to getting back to North Carolina. The weather here has been HORRIBLE lately, which really gets annoying after a while.

And as far as the Bronco II's go... Too bad you don't live closer, woulda been cool to have two identical ones side by side for a photo shoot! :icon_thumby:

Get some pictures up!!