•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

how hard would it be to swap a dana 28 to a 35

arizonadirtslinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
I have an 85 bronco ii bone stock I am rebuilding ( project resurrection ) I was given an axle I believe to be a Dana 35 I will check when I get home Friday I am keeping the 2.8 but I am planning on running 33 or 35 would it be worth it to swap in the 35 and is it all pretty straightforward bolt up and go or is there some fabrication involved ? Thanks in advance

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Vehicle
fords and only
I did it under two hours. And a 35 is way batter than a 28. I busted an axil shaft with 235s once. And ya I was doing something stupid

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
FORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
You will need to shorten the front driveshaft about an inch (I believe). Otherwise unbolt the 28 and bolt the 35 in...

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
You'll also need the steering linkage for the 35. It's about 2" wider than the 28 so the 28 linkage won't work. Somehow I missed that in the write ups and had to run back to the junk yard to get the linkage.

I have a 4" lift on mine and still had to take 1.5" out of the front shaft. I did it in my garage with a chopsaw and my welder. It may not be perfectly straight but I went down the road at 50 in 4wd and didn't seem to have a vibration.

I'd probably try and at least find 4.10's if you're going to run 33's. Mine was a dog with 3.73's and 32's. I've got 5.13's now and it works great. I have a usable 5th gear again. :)

Sent from my iPhone.