•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

I dont know

bowtie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Wifes 90 bronco II will not start. It has good spark at the plugs, fuel pump is working. Fuel rail has pressure. Seems like no fuel is getting in the chambers or the injectors are not firing. I have changed the module on the distributor and all the relays under the power distribution box. All fuses have been checked.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
As you turn the Key on,(Do not start) can you hear the fuel pump activate?

it should prime the system but shut off a short time later...like 2-4sec.

have you tried removing the air tube by the throttle body and give it a whiff of starting fluid, while trying to start??? if it will try to start ...then yes it is a fuel issue...if not,
then ignition.

have you done a compression check?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Are you SURE it's fuel? I've seen folks blame emissions and spark problems on the fuel system. EFI fuel systems are RIDICULOUSLY simple and far more reliable than people often assume.

james_joshua

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I had a similar problem with my ranger. The main wiring harness had a cut on the ground side of the injector. Fuel pressure everywhere but where it mattered. I just used a but connector and some tape and it was better than it was from the factory.

gbadgley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99 Explorer
Vehicle
02 Ranger 4x4
Hit it with a blast of starting fluid, if it fires it's fuel, if not look towards ignition. Greg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Umm, no. There are a number of emissions faults that will give you spark but no fuel. This is NOT a fuel system fault.

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Did you set #1 cylinder piston TDC on the compression stroke, when poked your distributor in place?
Check the spark plug to see fuel is getting to it.
Also plug in a code reader to see if you are able to get any codes.

I just replaced a set of heads on my new Bronco II. Had replaced the stator in the distributor with a new one and I was not able to get any codes from the reader. (had spark, fuel, compression) I latter put in another distributor with a used stator and now everything is OK.

Last edited:

bowtie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I do know

Thanks for the help guys.

The problem was with the wiring harness going to the distributor. The insulated jacket around the wire bundle has bare wire in it and a small bit of it was sticking out grounding to the transmission fill tube. I guess this bare wire is for protection to expensive ignition componets if anything ever protruded the wiring harness, because it sure kills the engine when grounded.

Chris102371

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Check for a small ground wire that hooks into the neg battery terminal. Mine came loose one day after work and it would turn over and not start. Hooked up the ground wire again and she started up just fine.