•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Ignition troubleshooting

mcmbandit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Thanks in advance. Truck died while driving, per the tests in the tech library the coil and module mounted to the distributor check out ok. Since they passed the tests recommended in the tech library I am looking for other problems before pulling the dizzy (I do have a spare).

The black/orange stripe at the ignition module is shown as the “ignition ground”, I can’t get continuity on this back to ground. I can’t find a diagram for an 89 that shows this black/orange, but I assume it goes through the engine control computer. Should this be grounded all the time? The position of the key makes no difference, I don’t have a shop manual I have just looked online for diagrams. Could I have lost the ground to the control computer, I don’t know where to look for that.

thanks for any advice you can offer, newbie here. As I said the coil, tfi module and wiring check out good except for this ignition ground. Reluctant to install parts not appearing to be bad, I’m sure you understand. Most new stuff not worth bringing home!

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Therangerstation.com has a more robust tech section. Here is a link for some help.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
This might be right.
98234471-A531-408A-AAC9-8647ED97C91E.jpeg

mcmbandit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Yeah, it shows that black orange going back to the electronic control assy. thanks Tw205.
I need to find where that assembly gets it’s ground because my black orange won’t read to ground.

mcmbandit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
That is the tech file I used to troubleshoot this far from ranger station…

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
The ECU is behind the kick panel on passenger side. Seems I remember a ground there. I don’t have a wire map of the ECU to test that wire from the dizzy to ECU. There are some grounds on the passenger side fender as well.