•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Jeep D30 to my transfer case

alpinestar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
5.0l
i just put a D30 in my '89 bronco II, anyone know how to run a cable to it to make the 4wd engage? hopefully you know what i mean.

thanks, and sorry if its already answered somewhere in here. im still lookin:dunno:

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Pull the vacuum motor and shim it with washers to stay engaged. Lots of Jeep guys do that until they swap in one piece axles... (Read that as this is what I will do until I break my 260 jointed axle shafts...)

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
You can also put a hose clamp around the splines to hold the collar in the engaged position.

alpinestar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
5.0l
ohhh nice guys. sweet action, thats way easier than what my brother was tellin me to do. now to figure out how that vacuum motor comes off.. although i havent looked yet... ****ing rain. gonna have to pull it in the garage now.. haha

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 1988
Vehicle
honda and ford
Engine Size
2.4l/5.0
saw it a few years ago so bear with me

drill and tap the housing like this(have to drill small hole in shift fork, for the mushroom on the cable to catch) to accept bycicle cable(look at the hand brake on one
see the threads

then get a lawn mower throttle lever(or a lever with tension on it)
something like this should work or similar
http://cgi.ebay.com/Unifit-Lawnmower-48"-Long-Throttle-cable-Coated-Conduit_W0QQitemZ110380713939QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090423?IMSfp=TL090423141001r9223
mount that in the cab, voila, cable operated CAD(oh yeah, if i remeber right you need a spring between the shift fork and housing)

alpinestar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
5.0l
ok opened it up. at the moment im having the problem that i cant get the 4wd engaging piece to slide over far enough by hand. not sure if its just hard to do or what. gonna head back out and see what i can do. i was gonna go with the hose clamp idea, anyone have a picture? just wanna make sure i do it right so i dont mess anything up. im assuming you just put it on the right side of the collar and tighten it down. but does it clear everything inside real well? i dont want it to come loose and rip to shred and be the cause of some serious carnage inside my axle housing lol... thanks guys

alpinestar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
5.0l
nvm all that mumbo jumbo.. lol i got it.. my cautiousness was keeping me from figurin it out, just had to line up the teeth. and i got a stainless steel zip tie instead of a hose clamp

alpinestar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
5.0l
ok im just dumb i guess.... haha i figured out that you guys acutally meant to put a sleever over the actuator piece to keep it from moving which will hold the collar in place.. so i put a hose clamp on it.. much safer than what i was originially planning to do...