•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Leveling Kit/Camber Adjustment Questions

b2redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-93700_superlift_1_5__-_2__leveling_kit.htm

Got an 85 BII...fixin one noise at a time. Moving on to the front end suspension/steering.

Need upper and lower ball joints. Before I go and tear everything apart, been looking at 2 inch leveling coils to bring the fronts up.

The superlift kit comes with adjustable alignment bushings, so my thought was to install those while I was changing out the ball joints.

My question, is it necessary to have adjustable alignment bushings with just 2" of lift? Rough country sells springs w/o the bushings... http://www.roughcountry.com/ford_83-97_midsize_leveling.html

Been seeing "Vehicles planning to lift the front only 1" to 2" must verify the factory shims are at or near zero degrees in order to achieve proper alignment." around alot.

How do you check to see if the factory shims are at zero?

Thanks guys.

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
You most definatly will need an alignment with 2" of lift and it is much easier to achive factory specs with the adjustable style bushings. Your camber will be way positive.

Take a wire brush and clean around the top ball joint nut. The bushings currently installed should be marked what degree it is. You really don't have to start with zero degree bushings it just makes doing the alignment easier.

b2redneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks for the input. If I install the adjustable bushing now when I do the ball joints (and do the lift later) would that do any to harm the stock ride at all?

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
No it won't hurt the stock ride height but you will need an alignment because the bushings will have to be adjusted.

You could likely get away by eye balling and measuring everything but I wouldn't recommend it. The toe changes with caster/camber adjustments.

They really are not that hard to install. I'd wait until you do the lift. Just lube up everything with anti seize compound when you replace the ball joints and use the stock bushings until your ready to lift.

derekj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger 4wd
When I put my coil spacers in I had to get Moog's adjusters in the largest range of adjustment (2 1/2 deg?) to get my alignment specs back to stock.

Derek