•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

looking at a 1994 Explorer

Kedyn's Crow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'm looking at buying a 1994 Explorer, it is an automatic and has lock out hubs. It has 218,000 kms on it, about 137,000 miles. It has some rust on the rockers and the driver's side door won't open. I was just looking for some opinions on this. Is there a reason the driver's side door may not open? Will the 4.0 and the automatic transmission last for a while longer? This is mainly going to be used as the weekend vehicle because my wife and I are expecting our first child in a couple of months and this will be a lot easier to fit everything into than our 2 door car.

Thanks for any opinions.

5.0B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5L
My Ex-wife is still driving my '94 Explorer. With a little over 200,000 miles on it - the engine has never been opened. The fuel pump and the alternator have been replaced. If your driver's door opens from the outside but not the inside, problem could be the little plastic clip they use to hold the latch rod in the latch - other than that, it could be a worn/broken latch.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The 4.0 is a good stout motor. I just bought a 94 with 191,000 on it and it idles smooth, has great power, doesn't smoke at idle or off throttle. I got the truck for REALLY cheap, the trans was dead. I threw a small pile of parts at the trans (my first trans rebuild!!), and its doing fine now. Drives nice (needs shocks though) and is a pretty nice vehicle. Has a little rust in from the passenger side rear tire. About normal...