•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

need 2.8 help

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I tore down my 56K mile '84 engine. I am replacing head gaskets, valve seals, water pump, rebuild the alt and PS pump, paint block, Duraspark, new carb , headers, etc etc. However, I found that I have a boken thermostat housing. It had a waterpump changed at one point before, so evidently they broke it then. Anyone have a 2.8 stat housing? I'm talking about the front left lower housing, 3 ears. Help

Last edited:

phatdaddy

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1988
Vehicle
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
460/ 2.9
i have a spare 2.8 still I think Ill look and see I can pm you if I do

JoshT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I believe that I didn't use the housing off the stock block when I swapped in the new motor. If I get over to my parents house tomorrow I'll check to see if I still have it.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd

JoshT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Sorry but those links didn't take me to a thermostat housing, just to search result pages.

I've got the one off my old 2.8 here, I'll get some pics up in a few minutes. Need ta take out the trash for it get's so dark.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Sorry but those links didn't take me to a thermostat housing, just to search result pages.

I've got the one off my old 2.8 here, I'll get some pics up in a few minutes. Need ta take out the trash for it get's so dark.
Strange... they worked earlier. At least on what the link opens up on my computer shows the two housing I linked towards the bottom.

JoshT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Yeah I finally found them on there.

The one I have looks just like the one on the O'Reilly Auto Parts page. By the time you add shipping if all you need is the front half you'll probably come out about the same price buying it from there. That's not to mention you'd have it sooner that way. If you need/want both halves and are able to wait let me know a shipping address and I'll get you a price and put up some pics.

IT can also be found at other stores it would seem.

Advance Auto
NAPA
AutoZone (that's the price with my zip code)

I'm sure there are other sources as well. I'd be happy to send you mine but sounds like you need it and would get a better deal (unless you need the front and back parts) if you go through one of the above mentioned stores.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
I had no hope that one was available new. thanks guys!
I found it on there a couple weeks ago when I looked up the gasket for it to see if it was even available, and it is too.

It is kind of a pain to get clean, if you still have the engine in the truck make sure to get a aimable mirror so you can make sure you get the yuck off of the timing cover. I had to pull the A/C compressor bracket and PS pump to get at mine good, sounds like you might already have all that stuff out of the way though.