•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Need leaf spring clarification

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Planning a sas this spring on my bII. I'm going leaves f&r need clarification as to if I go yj springs if i can use them front and rear. Not a real fan of anything bow tie. A lot of the articles I been reading don't specify rear springs only front. And how much lift I can gain. If I use 4 in lift springs from yj.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
springs are springs. but dodge eyes usually suk the worst as they are pretty small....this can be good and bad though.

i have bowtie dodge jeep and ford springs and powertrain parts on my trucks:dunno:

mix and match to fit the goal.

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I'm trying to understand which springs give you how much lift. My goal is clearing 38-42 in swampers. I have plans on comp cutting but want the ride height correct the first time.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
think about that question.

for the rear its almost a question with a possibility to give an answer as you can work with fixed known points. but i usually alter those as well. the front will be some sort of custom configuration no matter what.

add to that, used springs are always different in height from stock due to use and age not to mention the variance in stock pack configurations.

so we can only speak with general numbers as a guide.

on some projects i have worked on, using the same basic mount configuration and new springs i have had a huge variance in results from reg cab short bed with 4 cyl to ext cab v8 setups.

basically, the early waggy leafs work for most near stock powertrains with sas d30 swaps....build your mounts to suit ride height in any case to a reasonable degree.

but a dana 60 and huge tires have their own needs as well.

i use chevy rear blazer springs from like an 85 for my front currently, with a 60 and up to 44 inch tires with ok results...i still manage to "w" those springs though if i get stupid with it. on 33s i sit like 22 in at the frame on a gen 1 ext cab and 27-8 on 44's

The Jester Race

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2006
Vehicle
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 2.5
There are so many things that factor into your lift height with leaf springs it's hard to give a definitive answer. You have your spring hangers, the shackle length, shackle angle, the spring length, thickness, free arch, and spring rate that all factor into how much lift you will get out of leaf springs. So it really depends on how you set up your suspension if the 4" YJ springs will work for you. And a matter of trial and error if it'll be enough to clear the tires you want.

I used Rancho 44150 springs, which are 2.5" rear YJ springs in the front of mine. But they ended up being too soft, almost flat at ride height. My dad runs a spring shop, so I ended up building a custom pack off of the 44150 springs. IIRC I pulled the 2nd leaf out of the original pack and added two in it's place. The results were an increased spring rate from 235lbs to 250lbs, increased pack thickness by 3/8", and retained the factory spec free arch and length.

Once the springs settled, with my setup, I sit 7" over the stock BII ride height.

ON 39" TSL's

Hope this helps.

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Thank you jester that was what i was after.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
so we can only speak with general numbers as a guide.

basically, the early waggy leafs work for most near stock powertrains with sas d30 swaps....build your mounts to suit ride height in any case to a reasonable degree.

i use chevy rear blazer springs from like an 85 for my front currently, with a 60 and up to 44 inch tires with ok results...i still manage to "w" those springs though if i get stupid with it. on 33s i sit like 22 in at the frame on a gen 1 ext cab and 27-8 on 44's
not sure what your looking for but those are numbers based on what i have.

jester has springs you cant buy off the shelf as a baseline. cant say where thats exact as well.

stock front waggy springs work decent on most factory powertrain rangers. netting 6-8 in of lift for typical d30 swap with a mount configuration similar to jesters or 3 inches if you want to go that low. lift springs can net more from there.

:dunno:

this is setup similar to jester with dodge springs...chevy 48's

chevy 52's with shackles forward. 6.5 v8 diesel that added 400 pounds with the 4l80.

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I am buying new springs either way so I know what I got. I wanted cleared up what people was doing to get lift. I realize this isn't a bolt together and play kind of thing. I have seen tons of good articles but nobody said I used this for the front and this for the rear. I'm a jeep guy my buddy gave me his bronco ii after I sold my jeep. I figured its free so let's go hardcore. With a cherokee you buy what you want and go. I'm just not used to bastarding a lift kit together