•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

New carb.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
ive got a question. i have a 600cfm (i think) holly 4 barrel carb sitting in my floorboard. its out of my moms old 86 E-250 van and i was wondering what would happen if i threw it on my 84 2.8L b2. as of now im getting about 7 mpg so i dont think the gas mileage can get that much worse. any input would be helpful.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Well first your 2.8 only has a 2bbl intake so it wouldn't work. Second, if you found the Offenhauser 4bbl intake for your 2.8, it would still be too much carb. Rebuild your 2bbl, have it tuned so it runs right, and do the duraspark conversion if you haven't already.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
well im not trying to dump alot of money into it yet i honestly hate the 2.8L. i was just gonna get the autozone adapter for the carb. allright so what kind of affect would "too much carb" have on it?

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
It would be very hard to make it run right. My buddy put an 850cfm Edlebrock 4bbl on a stock 302 and it runs like ass no matter how you tune it. I have a 650cfm on a 440 in my camper. In your case it would be like trying to fill a shot glass with a fire hose.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
well im not trying to dump alot of money into it yet i honestly hate the 2.8L. i was just gonna get the autozone adapter for the carb. allright so what kind of affect would "too much carb" have on it?
Massive bog, and the power would increase the more you took your foot out of it...