•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Oil Light Comes on.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My 86 Bronco II's Oil Light came on the other day and it was kinda flickering. now it stays on... I have plenty of oil. I looked for the relay for the oil light and either im not finding it, or the color codes have changed from my ford shop manual. can someone tell me the colors, how many wires, and location of the relay? I think i found the actuall sensor on the drivers side of the engine( looks like it was just above the oil pan) w/ 2 wires.. not sure if that was it or not... ANy help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Chaz.

Last edited:

Muscleford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Are u talking about the low oil pressure light or the low oil light? The low oil light is usually in the pan, the oil pressure light will usually be in the block somewhere.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i have the gauges with the Tach. so the light is just a pic of an oil can. my owners manual says its the "low oil" light. I dont have an oil presswure light

Muscleford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Then as i said it should be in the pan, usually on the side.

Muscleford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Dont know where the relay is. Not even sure there is one. The oil pressure sending unit just wires to the light in the dash but I am not sure if the low oil sending unit is the same.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Usually this ford shop manual for this bronco is pretty acurate, but this one has me stumped... i might just pull the light bulb.. but i hate to do that...

chaz;/

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I don't believe '86s had oil level lights. Only oil PRESSURE. And it's screwed into the engine block below the power steering gear. It is not necessary to drain the oil to change it (unlike for oil level lights).

If the engine is clacking, it may really have low oil pressure....but a mechanical gauge is a good idea to find out what's going on.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I was just going my the owners and the Bronco II 1986 ford shaop manual. Engine still runs like a champ. Im probably just run it down to the shop.

Thanks,
Chaz.

mhagedon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I don't believe '86s had oil level lights. Only oil PRESSURE. And it's screwed into the engine block below the power steering gear. It is not necessary to drain the oil to change it (unlike for oil level lights).

If the engine is clacking, it may really have low oil pressure....but a mechanical gauge is a good idea to find out what's going on.
He's right. The light in your tach is an oil pressure warning light and it sounds like you should really be checking for pressure to be on the safe side.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well, i took it to the shop and they said after 20 mins, the oil pressure drops to 0 PSI.. but the engine still purrrrrrrrs like a kitten! Im wondering if there gages are screwed up.
Im going for a 2nd opinion!

Chaz.