•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

On the road again?

Lpannell25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Havent posted here in a few years... my 89 has been sitting in a drive way for atleast 3 years :( looking to get it back on the road.

History.
Bough my uncles 89 bronco 2.
Turns out the heads were cracked.
Did a complete top end rebuild used heads (sent to a shop no cracks everything seemed ok with them)
"New heads" didnt last long... maybe 300 miles before i had the same symptoms as before.
was parked and not touched since then so technically im not 100% that the heads are cracked because i never had the time or money to tear into it again but im 99% sure that is the problem.

Now that history is out of the way im tired of seeing this beauty sit in the drive way... I want to avoid repeating my last mistake and look into just replacing the whole engine... This time i will take my time and spend a little coin and get the new casted heads that dont tend to crack like the older ones.

im no mechanic but am able to get help from a few people if i need it. The local used auto parts yard has an 88 2.9 engine available for 400 bucks as opposed to a remanufacted 2k dollar long block off rockauto. Time is no issue as it has already been sitting a while its not like i expect to put it on the road next month... Is it going to be to big of a task for a non mechanic if i get the 400 dollar engine with expectations of basically making it like new as in completely taking it apart cleaning all parts and replacing necessary bits along the way? am i possibly going about this all wrong?

Anyway that's where i am at right now... Basically i want to eventually get this thing back on the road with a "like new" engine and i would love to work through it all myself so i know the ins and outs of the engine... am i heading in the right direction or are there other options available? Another advantage im thinking of with taking my time and doing it all myself i have a friend with a lift and would love to possibly pull the body off and clean and have the frame painted... i know it needs new body bushing. The body is in great shape with a beautiful sky blue paintjob the frame... ehhh it could use some attention... With a "like new" engine and a little attention to the frame i would love to put this thing on the road for another 20 years....

Sorry for all the rambling trying to explain a lot and its all clear in my head but obviously a little jumbled as i start to put it down... Thanks for taking the time to read and i look forward to spending plenty of time on here and taking in as much as you all have to offer!