•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Overhead console ambient temp problem

jsfordboy02

Reaction score
I have a '96 explorer with the temp display in the overhead console. At first it read OC, so I bought a new sensor, the "nipple" style because thats what autozone sells. Mine took took the other "flat top" style so of course is uses a different plug so I went to the junk yard and got the other style plug and mounting bracket. So now I have it mounted behind the front bumper, vertically, it works but reads like 30 degrees F lower than it actually is. Anyone have these problems?

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Are the wires hooked up correctly? I have 2 different types of the sensor, I could try swapping and see if read the same.

jsfordboy02

Reaction score
Are the wires hooked up correctly? I have 2 different types of the sensor, I could try swapping and see if read the same.
I only have one sensor, and it doesnt matter which way they are wired, I tried both ways before making the connections and still read the same.

Handy Tom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Bronco Joe, I have the same problem, but a little different. I swapped an overhead console into my '02 ranger. It came from a 98 Explorer that was missing the sensor. I've found a plug and sensor from a late model Explorer and I have a readout that frequently says "ICE" then gives a temp about 30 degrees lower that it should. I've tried three other sensors but get same readout. Have you found a solution yet?