•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Please help!!! Sounds like a race car

Joshua1992

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
This is my first post ever on here. I need serious help please.....i have an 86 b2. It came with a automatic but someone took the motor and transmission out of a 5 speed ranger and dropped it in. Was my daily driver until it started cutting out and bucking and jerking. It used to only do it once a month or so. Now it's almost undrivable. The idle surges sometimes. When you are driving it sometimes it runs good...but soon it starts loosing power and starts cutting out like it's loosing fuel. It sounds like a big block caming out hard...if you floor it, it goes away. If you ease off of it, it also stops. New distributor, fuel pumps, computer, map sensor, IAC, FPR, plugs, wires.... I'm at a total loss I'm thinking very serious about selling it

removebe4flight

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
This is my first post ever on here. I need serious help please.....i have an 86 b2. It came with a automatic but someone took the motor and transmission out of a 5 speed ranger and dropped it in. Was my daily driver until it started cutting out and bucking and jerking. It used to only do it once a month or so. Now it's almost undrivable. The idle surges sometimes. When you are driving it sometimes it runs good...but soon it starts loosing power and starts cutting out like it's loosing fuel. It sounds like a big block caming out hard...if you floor it, it goes away. If you ease off of it, it also stops. New distributor, fuel pumps, computer, map sensor, IAC, FPR, plugs, wires.... I'm at a total loss I'm thinking very serious about selling it
Does it only do it have you have been driving awhile and it is hot. Maybe your TFI module. Get the tool off ebay makes it super easy to change out.

buck119fa

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
presuming it's a 2.9 out of the ranger? you have the Chilton's/Haynes book for it? if not, get one, could be vacuum issues, timing, TFI, TPS, head, intake... I'd start with the plugs, you changed them.. what did they look like? that can tell you a lot about how that motor is running the manual has descriptions in it about the plugs and what to look for, check the timing, could be worn out and jumped.