•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Questions from a NB to the forum. Speed 2wd to auto 4wd and d28-d35 and 7.5-8.8 disc

mofoco1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

My family has had Rangers and Bronco II's and still do for many years now. So I need some questions answered and I figured that you guys would be the one that actually might have some answers instead of the same nb do the research crap from some of the sites. Heres what I am trying to purchase 89 Bronco II 2wd standard trans with a bad motor the body's in exceptional shape and worth saving, as it needs literally nothing except a running motor. What I have is a 90 Bronco II 4wd with a rebuilttrans and a great running motor( son was involved in a hit and run accident, I bought the salvage back, it runs, but the front is toast and frame is bent) so it's a donor. Ideally I wanted to to just make it an economical DD.
1. So I was wondering if my 90 running motor could just be transplanted into the 89 even though it was set up to run an auto instead of the 89's 5spd trans, or does it not matter and a direct swap in?
2. If not a straight swap is it very involved, and does it require that the auto trans and the original computer and subsequent sensors accompany the swap?
3. Is a auto trans and motor combo an easier swap rather than mixing it with the 5 spd original and are the crossmembers a direct swap as well or are new hole needed to be aligned and drilled?
4a. If the motor can be easily swapped in onto the 5spd then I will just save the parts I have remaining for another project, but here are some other things I ponder;
b. I have the 4wd parts off the 90 which would be nice to swap in instead of the d28. Can I get away with a stock height 89 running the d35 underrneath it( I might down the road do the 5.5" lift to run 32", but that's in the future right now I just need a DD)?
c. I have an 8.8" out of a 1995 Explorer Sport that has discs, what am I going to have to do to make it fit the 1990 Bronco II, (not worried about gearing as if I swap all this stuff in I would regear it anyways)?
d. If the auto can be swap in I assume the auto steering column needs to be swapped in as well, how involved is that and does it require an entire dash swap to get the shift indicator?
:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

Any help that you can give me would be great, I am doing this on the cheap so I am interested in trying to use what is at hand firdst before spending the big bucks, if not it get's put in the back as a never finished project.
Thanks Guys and hope to here from ya soon. you can also email me direct if you want at No1brncman@yahoo.com and if anyone is in the Central Cal area let me know as well.....................Mo

Last edited:

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Um, wow... That's alot... I'll give you the simple answers then you can search for more in depth because it's all out there I know...

1. Yes... Whatever swap though you need to have the original engine harness
2. If you're wanting to put the good motor and manual tranny together you need to swap out the automatic transmission harness with one from the manual...
3. Either way, both the same, the manual will be more reliable in the long run though...
4. D35 and D28 are the same dimensionally just swap it over... no biggie... if you wanna do the 2wd to 4wd look in this forum, it's been covered a million and one times...
5. Spring perches need to be moved to the top for SOA and shock mounts moved...

If you need anything else just search... Every single one of your questions has been covered a hundred times... Look in the Tech Library, most of it is in there...

mofoco1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
2. If you're wanting to put the good motor and manual tranny together you need to swap out the automatic transmission harness with one from the manual...
?Yes I want the good motor into the truck that had the 5spd, let me get this straight, I should just keep the manuel harnass in then right, or is there another harnass that the motor donor has that needs swap into the manuel trannied vehicle?
Thanks it may be just the wording or it might be me .....Mo

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I think yes... You're hard to understand but you dont need to put the harness from the engine with the automatic tranny in with a manual tranny... it should match up...