•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Rare Bronco II chrome/stainless side moldings!

8879ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey guys, I have located this for my 1988 Ford Bronco II when I planned on doing a stock restoration on the vehicle, but changed my mind after finding out how rare this set was. It has basically just been sitting in my home to prevent rust or aging of any kind, and I consider it to be a rare piece of automotive history. The man I purchased this set from told me that it was in an old Ford dealership which had been abandoned until he purchased the building. They attach to the vehicle with what appears to be a 3-M style double sided tape, and the tape is still very sticky. I did peel a corner back to make sure the adhesive was still good. They are stainless steel with the words "Bronco II" etched into the surface in an Italic style bold font. On each part, the stainless side is covered with the off-white protective coating as you can see in the pictures. Each individual piece also has a small sticker which labels where it is intended to be placed, such as "Driv R Fend," which would be drivers side rear fender. This set has an instruction sheet enclosed from FORD, and it shows where the molding set attaches to the lower part of the vehicle body, with printed instructions. There is also an enclosed small pink paper which has a short statement of how to care for the stainless steel.

Has anyone else on here ever seen or heard of this stainless steel Bronco II molding set before? I am unable to find any history on it, let alone another person who has it or even heard of it, other than the man I got it from and one other guy who used to work at a Ford dealership in the parts dept.

8879ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have listed this item on eBay WITH a reserve price considering their extreme rarity, along with some other rare parts such as a NOS Ford rear tube bumper for the off-road package and a matching rear tube tow hitch. Although there will be a reserve, I may let them go to the highest bidder if the price is right.

On eBay it is listed as " RARE NEW NOS OEM FORD BRONCO II SIDE MOLDING SET, STAINLESS STEEL LOWER BODY."

8879ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have NEVER seen these or even heard of them before. I planned on installing them on my 88' Bronco II but because they are basically a one of a kind item, I have left them new in plastic and stored them indoors. They are brand new, and have NOTHING wrong and ZERO blemishes. I also included a picture of the Ford instruction sheet, but unfortunately there is no part numbers listed. The only clue available is on the bottom right corner, where the paper says it is page 2 of 89. Anyone have any ideas, pictures or documentation of this part?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
They are supposedly stainless steel and you kept them in your house to prevent rust?????????????????????????????

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd

As you can see in the last pic, I'm missing the passenger rear piece. Would you have a spare? PM me with a price for the set if it's similar to the price of me getting a new piece made.

Richard

8879ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I do not have a spare and do not want to separate the set. As for a price, I am not sure of what type of price they should bring, as there are no companies that produce a reproduction of this exact set. I spoke with one guy who vaguely remembered purchasing this as a dealer option for around $300. A regular/plain non-Ford, made-in-china stainless steel side trim set for a Bronco II from LMC Truck has a list price of $237.44 plus shipping/tax.

I cannot tell from the pictures, but does yours have "Bronco II" etched into the stainless door trim piece?

8879ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
bump..................

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Look, as a person who restores vehicles let me shed some light. Just because something is "rare" doesn't mean it has to be valuable. Sometimes there is a good reason something is "rare"; it wasn't liked. Stainless bling, really isn't an offroad desire you know. It's not a tough and rugged look. I think that might be why today, it's so "rare". No one will pay big $$ for this, not in my educated opinion.

8879ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Look, as a person who restores vehicles let me shed some light. Just because something is "rare" doesn't mean it has to be valuable. Sometimes there is a good reason something is "rare"; it wasn't liked. Stainless bling, really isn't an offroad desire you know. It's not a tough and rugged look. I think that might be why today, it's so "rare". No one will pay big $$ for this, not in my educated opinion.
As a pre-medical student in Honors' classes and on the President's List while working full-time as a maintenance mechanic/technician I am well accomplished in all subjects including History and English. I understand the definition, usage and meaning of rarity but thank you for the endowment. I have also learned that punctuation goes inside quotation marks, never outside of them.

Clemson University...not bad Pete.

vwa1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Haha 400 bucks. You should have taken that $20 bid and ran with it.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I do not have a spare and do not want to separate the set. As for a price, I am not sure of what type of price they should bring, as there are no companies that produce a reproduction of this exact set. I spoke with one guy who vaguely remembered purchasing this as a dealer option for around $300. A regular/plain non-Ford, made-in-china stainless steel side trim set for a Bronco II from LMC Truck has a list price of $237.44 plus shipping/tax.

I cannot tell from the pictures, but does yours have "Bronco II" etched into the stainless door trim piece?
I understand not separating the set. IIRC there is no etching.

Richard