•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Rebuildin my 2.8L with a performance attitude

95offroadx

Reaction score
ok recently i bought a 84 Bronco II all orginally and stock, the engines does run pretty good and the tranny shifts good and the clutch is pretty firm, but it does have 160,000 miles on it, it doesnt leak or burn that much oil. So my plan now is to rebuild the 2.8 all new gaskets ands belts, remove the a/c, msd ingition, 4bbl carb offy intake, and custom exhaust. But I was also have been thinking about a comp cam, ported heads and such, but is it worth it? can this 2.8L have the power im looking for it to have? im not looking for alot of horsepower, the bronco II is very lightwieght, i think 150hp and 200lb/ft would get this puppy cruisin. is the 2.8 capable of reachin that goal?

I think the rebuild/refreshin the 2.8 would be easier and cheaper then swapin a a v8.

fordwheelinman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Why "fix" something if it isnt "broke"?

zuki

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
suzuki
if it dosn't leak or burn any oil, i would say you have a pretty good 2.8. i personally wouldn't mess with it.

if you want something that you could consider "reliable", i would strongly suggest a 4.0fi swap. hard to beat fuel injection. 160hp, which is right up there where you wanted. doubt you can get that level of performance/reliablity out of the 2.8 for a reasonable about of money. just my thoughts, as i have had both motors.

Barney0024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
I'm with Zuki on this. Leave it alone until it breaks. Then put a 4.0 in