•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

sort of engine swap

68cougar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I am picking up a 84 bronco ii this weekend with blown head gaskets on the 2.8. i also have a lead on a 1990 2.9. i was wondering if i can put in the 2.9 and just swap over the intake and various stuff from the 2.8 to the 2.9 or is it too different of an animal?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
One is carbed, the other Fuel injected (all 2.9s are FI)

So Im not thinking there is much you can swap. This actually just came up a few weeks ago, try using the search you might find it

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
Nope. Won't work.

I must be in a good mood today. I didn't mention "search" in this post.... Damnit. Now I did.

68cougar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I know one is carbed the other fuel injected. I was wondering if I could use various parts off the 2.8 like intake exhaust off the 2.8 to the 2.9. I did use the search feature, I always do hence the low post count. I always try to look up the answers to my questions before I ask, but when I look up on my phone it looks on the internet not in here.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Carbed and FI have entirely different intakes... As one doesn't have a carb sitting ontop of your engine.

Exhaust is probably different, because the engineers would design what works good for the engine then make exhaust to fit, not the other way around I would think.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
They are not the same engine family, no you can't do that. There are a few similarities ( trans bolt pattern ) but not what you want to do.

GentleRF

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
I should also mention the exhaust manifolds are very different. The only way one could get a 2.9 to work where a 2.8 once was, is to get a MegaSquirt ECU and a harness from DIY Autotune. At least that is what I would do. I would do it to my 2.3 in my '86 except for one small matter, money. Otherwise, I would MegaSquirt all my vehicles. Tune it up from any laptop.

Rick in East Bremerton

<edit> I forgot to mention get the 2.9 "Y" pipe for the exhaust. </edit>

Last edited:

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
The only way one could get a 2.9 to work where a 2.8 once was, is to get a MegaSquirt ECU and a harness from DIY Autotune.
I would never waste my time and money on a megasquirt for a 2.9L. I would just throw a stock harness and computer on it. (and call it the scrap guy to come haul it away. :icon_rofl:)

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
If you get a 2.9 harness and ECU, you can bolt it in and go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2