•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Swapping the Headlights/front clip 1990 Bronco II

FredDoug

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I recently bought a 1990 Bronco II and I prefer the look of the 1983-88 front end but I saw on another forum that to swap over it would require new fenders, hood, and the grille, filler, and bumper, plus lights and also an internal bracket maybe? I already have to replace a fender, the lights, and I have an older bumper style bumper laying around (no brackets). So I'm wondering if anybody has done this swap or if anyone has possibly just done some kind of light conversion to get the older style? If someone has done this, what all did you need? There is a junkyard nearby I plan to stop at that has a few rangers in the right range and if most of it's there maybe I'll be getting all the parts I need to swap backwards.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I've never done the swap but to get it to look factory... requires all the sheet metal be swapped as you describe.

Several folks have done round headlamp conversions on the first Gen trucks. Not sure I've seen it on second gen trucks.

Face

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
2WD
I recently bought a 1990 Bronco II and I prefer the look of the 1983-88 front end but I saw on another forum that to swap over it would require new fenders, hood, and the grille, filler, and bumper, plus lights and also an internal bracket maybe? I already have to replace a fender, the lights, and I have an older bumper style bumper laying around (no brackets). So I'm wondering if anybody has done this swap or if anyone has possibly just done some kind of light conversion to get the older style? If someone has done this, what all did you need? There is a junkyard nearby I plan to stop at that has a few rangers in the right range and if most of it's there maybe I'll be getting all the parts I need to swap backwards.
I’m trying to do the same with my 89B2, how did yours go??

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Older bumper style has no brackets. It attaches directly to the frame horns.

Face

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
2WD

FredDoug

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I ended up not swapping it with this project cause I couldn’t find all the old style panels in as good of shape as the ones I already had and didn’t want to order them new. I’d recommend looking for a donor that has a good front end and you’ll end up wanted other parts off of it anyway. I couldn’t go that route though because of space.