•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Tonto's Build Thread

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
OK, picked up a rad from an Explorer today. Got my hedman 88400 headers yesterday and blah blah blah. Tight like a tiger! The exhaust is leaving me wishing I'd have done a 3 in body lift, but I think with some redneck engineuity ;-) I can get it done.... No mechanical fan for this guy :-( Got one an electric fan on order though. Pushes 2500 CFM. Sure hope it's enough. Anyway, I'll let these pictures speak for themselves.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

merch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
351w
i did the same swap on my ranger,tuff to fit but it can be done with heat and ac. what transfer case are you gona run?

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I'm gonna run the 208 for now. I have it, I have a spare and it's already in. Maybe one day I'll go to an Atlas or something.

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Got the FEAD installed along with some aux switches. I used the red ones for ign and fuel pump so they're easily told apart from the others in case of emergency.

Currently working on the Trans crossmember so I can get that all bolted in to start on drive shafts. It's coming along. Still don't know what to do about a heater....

Had to remove my wonderful center console to make room for the new shifter. The transfer case shifter popped up beautifully and all I had to do was cut some of the length off. Shifter still isn't mounted, just planning some stuff.

Looked all over for a good price on a setup like this for my switches but they were all around the $100 mark... I spent $30 on all the toggles and made this from some sheet metal I had laying around. It's alright.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Looks good but no stereo? That would drive me insane!

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
There will be tunage! Just not sure exactly how... Every time I've put a stereo in my Wheeler, it gets jacked.... So, going to come up with an auxiliary source to the speakers. Or, rock a boom box lol!

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
So, does anyone have any sweet transmission crossmembers to show off? I'm stumped. All of my ideas are... Inadequate. Could use some pictorial thought instigation! Thanks!

merch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Check out my build thread,mine was asimple build that tucks away nicely,i should have inverted the frame mounts to make it all hidden but its not that bad.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Do you just have clearance issues with the passenger side header?

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Yeah, more or less. The drivers side is almost perfect. Struck me kind of odd....

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Finish your transmission mount yet?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Did you get this beast running?!

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I have not.... Haven't been able to touch it! My back is getting worse and L&I is giving me the run around... Hard to work on anything with a numb leg and the inability to bend or stand for long periods of time... That and the time loss which equates to severely smaller paychecks.... A buddy wants to come out this weekend and help me with the tranny mount.

How's your rig coming along man?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Damn that's rough man! Did you end up moving or are you still at the same place? How did you hurt your back?

I actually haven't touched my truck for over a month because I'm waiting on my Strong box to arrive!

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Oh man! Strong box! Awesome....

I'm still at the same place. As stated my paychecks have become bleak and have been living off the cash set aside for Tonto.... No Bueno.

Blew 3 discs in the lowest part of my back. It's been a long time coming considering the work I do. 86% of injuries at my job are lower back related, mine just happens to be one of the worst yet. All 3 are protruding from the spine and collapsing the canal for the nerves and blood vessels causing sever pain down my left leg and numbing sensations.... To sum it up, it sucks.

Need to move and need to finish this project though it looks like I'll be transplanting it to the better halfs house before it's finishes based on fundage. I've lost over $1000 a month in income so I'm a hurting unit both physically and financially lol! It'll all be better once that SBF cracks off for the first time though!