•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Transmission work

fjs340

Reaction score
Hi, this is for my buddy. His '87-'89 4WD AUTO, lost reverse. It was fixed by an excellent shop in town but, he could only afford to fix that bad band and get fluid, filter service. One the way home hit a dip in road and it down shifted hard and reved up? He travels this spot constantly, it never did it before? Could it be torque converter still not full? He said entire shifter feels loose to?

Oversight on tightening shifter mount or tail mount? Ideas?

3rd Petal

Reaction score
If the shifter feels loose, that would probably be something to check to make sure it's all the way in gear properly. Could have hit that bump and knocked it down into second or something.
I'm sure the torque converter is probably full, I've never had an issue with them getting air trapped in them or anything like that. I guess its possible they might not have installed the torque converter all the way and it's not engaging right, I've seen that happen before. I would think it would have issues all the time though, not just when hitting a bump.
Also, double check the fluid level. I've seen a lot of stuff leave a shop without the proper amount of fluid in it