•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Ugg. Another D35 question...sorry.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well I finally found a explorer front end with the 4.10 gears in it. Im gonna go grab that tomorrow. My question is about the hubs. The information on the hubs is kinda here and there it seems. Im fairly confident from my reading that what I need is #29071 WARN hubs, but let me know if Im wrong, because I got the cash to do this once.

Ref:
https://www.warn.com/truck/hubs/application_chart.shtml

What hardware do I need to get this all slapped together? Is there a hardware kit or some part numbers I should be looking at? If not, I can just shoot down to NAPA but I need to know what exactly Im asking for. Any help will be much appreciated.

Lastly, Im trying to understand, I just bolt the B2 driveshaft to the d35 pinion yoke right? Ive got a 4" lift so Ive read I dont need to modify the shaft. Is this all correct?

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What year explorer? I wasn't aware that any ttb explorer came with 4.10's. Also, the driveshaft would normally have to be shortened. I don't know, but I don't think 4" of lift would be enough to prevent you from needing it shortened. If you wanna find out for sure, take out that coil and compress the beam till it hits the bump stop. If it binds, you'll destroy the tcase.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
What year explorer? I wasn't aware that any ttb explorer came with 4.10's. Also, the driveshaft would normally have to be shortened. I don't know, but I don't think 4" of lift would be enough to prevent you from needing it shortened. If you wanna find out for sure, take out that coil and compress the beam till it hits the bump stop. If it binds, you'll destroy the tcase.

I want to say 95? Not 100% as I just found out the yard had it over the phone. I will be taking a print out with me of axle codes and make sure its what I need. The yard had them sorted by gears and said it was a 4.10 but who knows. Ill check and report back. For anyone else with this question 4x4junkie hooked me up from the ranger station with the parts kit question.

Warn pt# 29071 is the standard application for the D35 front hubs. Unless you plan to add a locking diff and oversized tires, those hubs should be fine for most uses.

Warn pt# 37780 will get you a much heavier-duty set of hubs however (strongly advised if you plan on a locker and tires 33" or bigger). #37780 is listed as for a Jeep application, however their fitment is 100% exactly the same as for #29071 (you will still need the same conversion parts if converting over from automatic hubs).

The conversion kit is Warn pt# 32720, however I think this kit is overpriced when you can get the same exact thing as Spicer pt# 28068X for around $10 - 15 (you will need one Spicer kit for each side).

See this post:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16

Stock D28 driveshaft should be fine with the D35 if you have a suspension lift.

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95+ explorer will not be ttb, they are ifs, the same as 98+ ranger. For a 4.10 d35 ttb, you should be looking for (if I remember right) 90-92 ranger 4cyl 4x4 or ranger ex cab 2.9 auto.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So wait, even though its a d35 and off an explorer its not the right one?

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
So wait, even though its a d35 and off an explorer its not the right one?
if it is in fact a 95 (or newer) that is correct. ford used a ttb d35 in the older trucks and switched to the "ifs" d35 in the 95+ explorer and 98+ ranger. they're both technically a dana 35, but they are two very different axles. take a peek under the front end of each truck and you'll see what im talking about.

edit: heres a couple pics to illustrate my point. ttb on top, ifs on the bottom. again, both dana 35, but 2 totally different designs.

Last edited: