•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Will not shift into 4th gear!

gata_no1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have an 85 Bronco II with a 2.8L V6. It has a Mitsubishi FM145's tranny, and the t-case is manual. When it first started to happen, it would grind a little going into 4th. It got worse, to where I had to really put some force behind it to go in, and then it was grinding really bad. I knew something was wrong (naturally) but put it off. Now, I push it into 4th, and it feels like it doesn't exist anymore. Nothing catches, grinds, or makes noise. It's just not there. I now have to shift from 3rd to 5th. Any thoughts on what happened, and what I need to do to fix it? Thanks for your help!

gata

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
I think everyone is afraid to tell you it's dead.

"fix it"? doubtful.

Replace it? best way to go.

AD

gata_no1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I was afraid to hear that. I have actually been driving it this way for a while...just shift from 3rd to 5th and it hasn't been a problem. Would it be worth it to rebuild it, or just buy a used one and put it in? Thanks for the help!

Ryan

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
ive ssen the input shaft bearing go out pretty often in these. which is also where 4th gear is

gata_no1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So how hard is it to fix the input shaft bearing? Where is that located? I appreciate the help bottledgt.

Ryan

gata_no1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Anyone have any idea on how to fix the input shaft bearing? Where is it located? How do you check it to see if that is in fact the problem? If it is the problem, is it expensive/hard to fix? Thanks!

Simple_serf

Reaction score
One thing that has been a common theme on these forums is that those transmissions are trouble prone and are not generally worth rebuilding when they go bad.

I don't know if a mazda has the right bolt pattern for the 2.8, but it would be worth looking into. The M5OD is probably the best RBV trans.