•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Wooooo!!!!!!!!!

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I found someone on craigslist the other day who was parting out a built explorer. I picked up the entire 8.8 and the 35 third member, both with detroit lockers and 4.56 gears. A big step up from the 3.73s and open diffs I've got now! :headbang:

Anybody have any advice about general maintenance/things I should check out while I've got the axles out? Any help is much appreciated. :icon_cheers:

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
I'd just do a fluid change, and be sure to use friction modifier if Detroit calls for it. Clean the Heck out of the pumpkins with brake cleaner and let it dry before putting the cover back with rtv, then fill er up. Would also be a convenient time to check out all your bearings. And if the person you bought it from did the gear and locker installs themselves I'd probably check the r&p to make sure it was set up right.

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
So, in theory, since the front third-member is already assembled, I should be able to just get some set-up grease and make sure the contact is good, then just swap the whole pumpkin, right...?
What I can't decide on, is what to do with the 8.8. The one in the truck now already has the spring perches/ shock mounts relocated, so I feel like it'll be easier to take all the internals out of both axles then put the new parts in the axle that sits in the truck....

PanamaExpat

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Seems to me that if you gut one for the other you will have to start all over setting up the gear lash. Might be easier and faster to fab new perches on your replacement axle.

By the way you are one lucky SOB to find those axles... I am sooooo jealous. LOL

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
By the way you are one lucky SOB to find those axles...
I know, I'm super stoked about it!
The more I think on it, the more I feel like I should find a shop to swap em in for me...I don't have half the tools I'll need to tear into these axles, and I've never done a ring and pinion before, and I'm scared of screwing it up and ruining these new gear sets...as much as id love to be able to say I did this myself and gain that valuable experience, I might pass this one off to someone more qualififed.... :dunno: