•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Wouldn't go and won't start

RANGER_DANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Today i was driving a long in my 89 Bronco 2 and all of a sudden i turned a corner and the thing just wouldn't go, it was as if it were in neutral so I coasted to the stop light that wasn't too far away and i let it sit there and it just revved, not high but it'd just rev higher and lower repeatedly so I just shut it off. Then I tried starting it again and it would not start. It sounds like the starter isn't engaging but i bought the starter about a month ago. I'm just very confused how 2 things could go wrong at once. Any ideas where to start? I figure putting more ATF in the tranny would be a good start but I don't think that's the problem.

4LO 4.O

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I had the same problem on an old B2, i bought a starter and it worked for about a month.. then would not engage the flywheel, come to find out that the gear that jumps out and engages the flywheel was to small.
I had to take it to a starter shop and have a 10 tooth wheel put on the starter.

RANGER_DANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
This is an auto, if the starter is bad i'll just take it back and get a new one considering it has a lifetime warentee. It is just strange that the tranny would go into reverse but no forward gears. I haven't gotten a chance to look at it more closely yet because of christmas and all but I'll look at it tomorrow. Just great that all this happened at once!

RANGER_DANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
OK, I replaced the starter today and it did the same exact thing, just a grinding constant noise. I'm wondering if the torque converter is bad. What are the symptoms of that?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
might be...that the starter ring gear came unattached from the flywheel/torque converter.

remove spark plugs (with plugs remooved the engine turns over lots easier)...remove starter... roll/turn the engine over by hand and watch the flywheel, Watch thru the hole where the starter "should be"...as you turn the engine check to see if gear runs fairly straight... also while your under there check the teeth on the ring gear. if the engagement side of the ringgear teeth look rounded and or missing that maybe your issue.

also take a peek at the shift linkage make sure everything is still hooked up

hope that helps