•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1983 Bronco II rear driveshaft

ndcraig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
stock v-6 carburated
I live in the middle of nowhere with no helpful shops within a day's drive. The driveshaft on my Bronco II is shot but I'm having trouble finding a new replacement online.

The driveshaft has u-bolt hook-up to the output of the transfer case, followed by a double-cardan type u-joint assembly. This is the only joint like this in all my vehicles and don't know if I have the capability to rebuild myself so was thinking of just buying a new one.

All the ones I find online have flange mounts at both ends, this one only has a flange at the rear axle. Are '83's different than '84 and newer. (or did someone change something on my bronco years ago before I acquired it?)

I also see listings for conversion shafts with 2 normal u-joints, is this an option for me? (I do not see as extreme an angle between transfer case and rear end as in some of my other cars and they run fine with 2 normal u-joints)

And again, all the conversion shafts are listed from '84 and up as well as showing 2 flanges.

Why the crazy non-normal u-joint? Is it possible to rebuild myself with just a 2-ton shop press? If so, any technique help and forum-recommended places to source parts?

Lastly, if all else fails, any recommendations on good shops that know these bronco II's that wouldn't mind me mailing the dead shaft to them for rebuild?

Thanks for any advise
-currently driving a fwd Bronco II

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
You don't have a flat four bolt flange at output of transfer case and then whatever you see?

I don't know those early years well.

I thought they all pretty much came with CV shafts till the very late years, but can be wrong.

CV shafts no longer available :(

As far as a two u-joint conversion shaft, I am using one in my 88. As long as vehicle is not lifted one should be adequate but I have no idea how your rear end input shaft is aligned relative with the transfer case output shaft. With a double cardan the rear diff input would normally be pointed up with little angle.

When I went from CV to the two u-joint conversion shaft on my 87 it worked fine. There was some slight vibration in first gear under heavy accel, but other than that it seemed just fine.

ndcraig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
stock v-6 carburated
No bolt-on flange, just a saddle with 2 u-bolts holding the first u-joint bearing caps (-just like the driveline to rear-end hookup on all my old 60's trucks and cars.)

I'll try posting a pic tomorrow

The shaft angle is far less than some of my other vehicles and they run smooth with just 2 u-joints.

elib_21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I've got the double cardigan style up on the front side of the rear shaft then the flange on the rear. Most parts for this driveshaft are on bronco graveyard.com. I needed a new rear flange since my original one was ovaled out.