•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1984 Bronco 2 - Starting Issue

ErinBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
I've got a 1984 Bronco 2 with the 2.8L V6. Did the Duraspark conversion and it's got a brand new distributor, spark plugs, and plug wires. My dad is a genius with this type of stuff, but I'm trying to be a little more independent. Before I drove this thing home, he adjusted the timing slightly in an attempt to make it a little easier to start. Whatever he did, it didn't make it any easier to start but it also didn't make it any worse.

Currently, when I try to start it "cold" (it's about 60F here), I have to hold the switch on for anywhere from 10-20 seconds before it wants to start. Giving the gas pedal a pump or two before starting seems to make starting take even longer, like it's flooded. This morning for instance, I tried to start it without touching the gas at all. After about 10-15 seconds I sounded like it was just barely thinking about starting. I stopped and let it sit 10-15 seconds, gave the gas pedal one pump and tried again. Same thing, 10-15 seconds of holding the key on before it started.

Is there a simple solution to this or is it normal? My thought is that the carburetor needs to be refreshed, cleaned with new gaskets and seals. Am I on the right track? Also, am I going to ruin my starter by holding the ignition on for that long?

I've got a very basic understanding of Bronco 2's at this point. I'm slowly learning but I'm definitely not an expert, so feel free to tell me like it is. Thanks!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Typically 1 press of the accelerator to the floor before starting sets the choke, then once its running and warms up slightly a 2nd press of the accelerator will release the choke....I believe some had an electric choke which if I recall a press of the accelerator before starting would close the choke, then as the vehicle warmed up the choke would slowly open automatically...not sure how yours is setup.

Pull the air filter cover off, and see if the butterfly for the choke is closed before trying to start it, if not press the accelerator to the floor once and go check to see if the butterfly is closed, if not your linkages may need to be adjusted, or the carburetor may simply just be tired and need a rebuild. One other thing you may try would be if the choke isn't closing when its cold automatically with a press of the accelerator installing a manual choke cable may be the direction to go.

ErinBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
Typically 1 press of the accelerator to the floor before starting sets the choke, then once its running and warms up slightly a 2nd press of the accelerator will release the choke....I believe some had an electric choke which if I recall a press of the accelerator before starting would close the choke, then as the vehicle warmed up the choke would slowly open automatically...not sure how yours is setup.

Pull the air filter cover off, and see if the butterfly for the choke is closed before trying to start it, if not press the accelerator to the floor once and go check to see if the butterfly is closed, if not your linkages may need to be adjusted, or the carburetor may simply just be tired and need a rebuild. One other thing you may try would be if the choke isn't closing when its cold automatically with a press of the accelerator installing a manual choke cable may be the direction to go.
Thanks! I checked the carb before I started it yesterday morning and the butterfly was wide open. I pressed the gas pedal once, and it didn't move. So I adjusted the butterfly so that it was just barely closed. Even with the butterfly closed though, it still took about the same 10-15 seconds of cranking to start.

I found a nice guide to rebuild the 2150 carb on the ranger station, so I'm gonna order the rebuild kit and give her a little refresh. Hopefully that will help.

Guide:
https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pdf_documents/motorcraft_2150_carb.pdf

Rebuild Kit:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=987387&cc=1106132&jsn=470

Before the Duraspark Conversion

The OG gas tank

ErinBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
The rat's nest I found in the back.... found quite a few rat skulls and other bones back there. :bad:

Not looking great. The carpet actually didn't look too bad but it stunk to high heaven.

The mice also mad it up to the head liner. This ain't going back in.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
The butterfly should be completely closed for a cold start, so it needs more adjustment...but the rebuild kit certainly won't hurt anything at all...now we really need to work on your fuel tank problem, umm there may be a slight leak HAHA!!!! Keep us posted on your results after adjusting that butterfly so it closes completely for a cold start and after the carburetor rebuild. Rodent damage is always a huge annoyance and quite damaging to a vehicle, that whole interior may need to be gutted and thoroughly cleaned and bleached out and then put back together.

ErinBronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco 2
Suspension Style
4wd
The butterfly should be completely closed for a cold start, so it needs more adjustment...but the rebuild kit certainly won't hurt anything at all...now we really need to work on your fuel tank problem, umm there may be a slight leak HAHA!!!! Keep us posted on your results after adjusting that butterfly so it closes completely for a cold start and after the carburetor rebuild. Rodent damage is always a huge annoyance and quite damaging to a vehicle, that whole interior may need to be gutted and thoroughly cleaned and bleached out and then put back together.
I spent all day yesterday and today completely removing all interior (except the dash). Pulled out all the insulation/nest and filled an entire garbage bag with it. Vacuumed what I couldn't grab and then wiped everything down very liberally with a bleach/water solution. NASTY. The headliner didn't look bad and I was gonna leave it up, but I could still smell something wasn't right, so I pulled it down and voila more rat shit. So everything is clean now, just need to screw it all back in tomorrow.

It really makes you consider if the truck is worth it or not when it's filled with rat piss/shit lol :no2:

I'll post updated pictures tomorrow of how "clean" it is now and an updated engine bay pic so everyone can see the carb adjustment.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
My first Bronco 2 was a mess as well it was an 84 also, the previous owner did whatever they could to try and destroy it I finally ended up taking it to the scrapper...my 88 Bronco 2 that I have now other than paint and a few minor interior needs its pretty good.

My 88 Bronco 2 suffered from the previous owner's lack of brains and laziness...resulting in a new engine and transmission...he towed it behind his motorhome improperly damaging the transmission and I think it also caused engine damage because I believe the engine was being turned over as a result of him not properly setting it up for towing, yes it can be flat towed on all 4 wheels but not with the front hubs engaged LOL....so I think he didn't have it setup properly....oh well it runs and drives great now...but for $8k in expense for an engine and transmission it damn well better run great LOL.