•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1985 Bronco 2 - Sitting and Starting

Snowgoons

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey All!

I have a 1985 Bronco II that I store in Massachusetts in my dads barn (I live in Cali, won't pass smog). I did some work in CO (new carb etc) and it has been running great for 8 years. I leave it for 8-14 months at a time and every time I come home it starts up first shot. This time (only 6 months) it won't start.

I get a loud ticking and tapping noise when trying to start, but thats it.

I also noticed some half eaten acorns underneath and there is some oil residue throughout. I checked the oil levels and it looks great.

Any advice to get this fired up? I only need to get it about 10 miles to my mechanic to make sure it can run while I am home and then I will (convincing my wife) drop it off at a restoration shop for a full refurb.

Any help or advice would be great! (notes, semi ignorant on engines/carbs but have done some items myself, but willing to learn/try).
PXL_20230614_151908485.jpg

PXL_20230614_151812494.jpg

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Sounds like the battery is low. Try jump starting it.

Dirty cable connections will also yield similar results. Ensure cable ends are clean and tight.

Snowgoons

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Spot on. Jumped it and fired. Sounded different than previous dead batteries (plus all interior lighting came on).

For future: the wife has given permission to do a full refurb of my Bronco.

How do people usually start this process? Is it best to just bring it to a restoration place? This bronco has been a love of mine since I got it for $1000 in the Vail mountains. The work I've done has been piece meal and I'd love something that really shines under the hood and runs perfect. Exterior and interior is the last of my concern.