•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1986 bronco II (with factory A/C) wiring troubleshooting

JB1986B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
After about 2 years of bringing this beat back to life, it runs well!
Many aesthetic improvements (trim, seats, carpet, etc.) have me just about ready to sell it, but the A/C has never worked since we bought it.
I purchased new hoses, accumulator, orifice tube, etc. Before I put it all back together, I figured I'd test the wiring and see if I needed a new compressor.
Jumping 12v to the compressor, it runs fine. :icon-thumby:
I spent the past few weeks learning and testing all the wires and connections between the cab switch and the a/c clutch connector because something is amiss.
At this point I've been able to determine I have a good connection from the cab a/c switch, through the WOT relay and pressure switch. Continuity is good for all related wires, but I'm concerned the previous owner may have mis-wired something.
At one point we suspected the diode (near the compressor, to the right of the intake manifold) so I cut that out, removing the wire/diode which connected the (b/y) wire and the ground wire. That didn't make a difference, so I'll put it back once I determine the root cause.

It's the plug intersecting [4 red wires, (b/y) and a (p/y) + (b) wire] that has my attention now. For some reason when I test between battery (+) and the (b/y) wire at the A/C clutch switch, I'm getting 12v (positive probe at the positive pole on the battery, and the negative probe on the 12v+ wire at the a/c clutch). Given one branch of the (b/y) wire goes to that plug which has a body-grounded (b) wire - it makes sense that it's grounded (but shouldn't be?) However, even when I remove that front-facing ground wire from the body, the (b/y) wire at the A/C clutch is still grounded.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for this '86 Bronco 2 showing where those wires should go, and for what purpose?

Attachments