•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1986 Bronco II XLT 2.9L 4WD Auto Trans - Interior Lights

AnnDixson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Bronco Hair I Don’t Care
The 15amp fuse that controls interior map, dome and cargo lights keeps blowing. We isolated the wire that goes to the dome and cargo lights and do not feel there is a problem there. The fuse still keeps blowing and the map lights don’t work. Anyone out there have any ideas?

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
Light under the hood? Light in glove compartment?

Dennis

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
The 15amp fuse that controls interior map, dome and cargo lights keeps blowing. We isolated the wire that goes to the dome and cargo lights and do not feel there is a problem there. The fuse still keeps blowing and the map lights don’t work. Anyone out there have any ideas?
So by isolating the circuit that goes to the dome and cargo lights... does that mean you pulled the door jamb switches and checked those?

Lamp power goes through those to provide power fir the lamps.

AnnDixson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Bronco Hair I Don’t Care
I ordered two replacement door jam switches and will try replacing those. I was able to find a new headlamp switch and the pigtail harness on Amazon and will check that out to see if that is the problem. Other interior lights don’t work either i.e. radio, instrument panel so maybe replacing the headlamp switch and harness will solve those issues too.

AnnDixson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Bronco Hair I Don’t Care
Ok,I gave up and took the Bronco to a local mechanic who is known for finding electrical issues on older vehicles and it turned out the short was in the wire that goes to the light under the hood (there is no light there but apparently there is still a wire that can short out) - Dennis suggested this might be the case in his earlier reply. My map, dome and cargo lights now work and the 15amp fuse is no longer blowing out on me - hooray! I can now put my Bronco back together - I re-installed the sun visors, windshield upper trim, A pillars and the 4x4 console above the rear view mirror and that was no easy task. On to the next project on my list (which is getting shorter) - I am going to install side steps to make it easier to get in and out of the Bronco.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
Glad you found the short