•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1987 B2 - Won't start after a drive ... until next day

thekids4444

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Have this really frustrating intermittent starting issues with my 87 Bronco II. Once a month it will crank but not start. It only seems to happen after I've driven it around a bit (but that could be a coincidence). I hear the fuel pump coming on but I'll crank and crank and get nothing. I'll then leave it in whatever parking lot I'm in and come back the next day and ROAR... starts right up.

What do you think is happening when I let it sit over night?

Could this be a TFI overheat issue? The thing is it'll never die while driving, it just won't start after I run an errand and come back out to head home. Even when I get a weak start out of it (like it may not catch) if I get it going it'll drive fine.

I've also checked the inertia switch and that has not been tripped.

I can't recreate the problem and now drive it less as I don't want to get stuck somewhere. Any ideas?

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
It does seem odd that it doesn't just quit while driving if it is a TFI issue... maybe it is experiencing heat soak after you shut down?

What you will need to do is when it gets in the no start mode is check for spark. A spark tester is cheap and easy to use and will help narrow it down.

I also wouldn't rule out fuel issues... again when you find it won't start... do a quick check of fuel pressure.

thekids4444

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
yeah thanks. I have a spark tester. Now I just need to drive it until I get stranded....which isn't ideal.