•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1987 BII 2wd transfer case install...

Nick1983M

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II XLT
Suspension Style
2WD
I have an 87 Fuel injected 2.9v6 BII 2wd 5 speed that im wanting to swap to 4x4. I have a parts vehicle thast an 85 bII carbed 2.8 automatic 4x4. Is there anything off this that I can use for my 87? I have already pulled the front differential out. I just assumed nothing would swap from the 85 to the 87 as far as transfer case and shift linkages...?

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
I believe your 2wd has a dummy transfer case. You can use the one out of the 85 but you will need a different transfer case shifter if it’s a manual shift. Two types. Long forks vs short forks. Short forks on TK5 and FM145 84 thru 87. Long forks on A4LD and FM146 and M5OD on 88 and up. Yours, if factory, should be a FM145 or TK5 so you need a short fork. Front driveshaft will be too long for your setup. Earl manual transmissions are short. Automatics and later manual transmissions are long resulting in two sets of transfer case shifters and driveshaft lengths. You need short front long back. 85 automatic has long front short back.
Reading this back sounds confusing but it’s what came out. Ask for clarification if you need any. Good luck.

Last edited: