•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1988 Bronco 2 Pre-build Check

tolehouse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
I have an 88 B2 with just shy of 200k that is due to be rebuilt after several years of abuse. I'll probably tackle the build in stages, but wanted to run my plan by those with more experience to avoid any major pitfalls or save myself from drastically over building a particular segment of the truck. Use is a mix of pavement and off road in CO and the broader mountain west. Our group generally runs medium difficulty trails, but the lower half of 'hard' trails aren't uncommon either.

Current setup:
Engine: Stock 2.9L V6
Transmission: Mitsubishi FM146
Transfer Case: BW 1350
Front Axle: Dana 28
Rear axle: Ford 7.5"
Wheels: 15" steelies
Tires: 29" duratracs
Suspension: Very tired stock springs/leafs and KYB shocks

Planned build
Engine: Ford 4.0L v6 OHV, harness and dash from a junkyard donor
Transmission: no change
Transfer Case: no change
Front Axle: Dana 35
Rear Axle: Ford 8.8" w/ disc brakes
Wheels: 15" steelies
Tires" 33" TBD
Suspension: 4 or 6" lift kit (skyjacker or duff)
Body lift: 2-3"

Build Questions:
Engine:
Any common failure points on the 4.0 OHV I should be aware of, and replace before I put the block in?

Transmission:
Can the FM146 handle the tire and suspension changes? Alternate recommendations if not?
How difficult is it to turn a manual to an automatic? Have stalled a few times while crawling up/down steeper features and had to change pants. Automatic would alleviate this.

Axles:
Should I regear the axles to support the tire size and suspension changes? If I remember right, one of the usual ratios with 33s will keep the speedo accurate but that's an expensive reason to avoid some mental math if additional strength isn't needed.
Is putting Dana 44 knuckles on the Dana 35 worth the hassle?
Planning to weld the rear axle tubes to the pumpkin as I understand that can be a point of failure

Suspension:
I know 2" body lift is needed to help fit the 4.0, but would a 4" spring lift still enable the 33s to fit or better to go with 6"?
Pros/cons of Skyjacker vs Duff?

Misc:
Saginaw power steering pump swap
R134a o-rings on A/C circuit
LED or HID headlights
Roof or rack mounted KC hi lites
High output alternator
Oil filter relocation
Head unit swap for Android auto
Change front seats from bench to seats with headrests (drop in donors?)
Rear bumper: James duff swing out rear bumper or DIY

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: