•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1988 Bronco 2, Project

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Alright, so after a bit of conference on TRS about my recently purchased 1988 Eddie Bauer Bronco 2, I've decided that it will become a daily driver, its in pretty good condition, the only thing I noticed was the normal worn out driver's seat, everything else is in pretty good condition, the hood does need repainted.

I had enough money saved up to have the transmission rebuilt so I can drive it at least while I'm working on getting a few other things straightened out on it. Picking the B2 up from the transmission shop probably Tuesday afternoon.

The rear drive shaft has the stupid CV setup on it rather than U-Joints, I'm thinking about finding a replacement that has the standard U-Joints as its far easier to repair LOL. So that's 1 item on my list to find, and I'm not sure if there's anything I need other than the drive shaft?

The rear defrost doesn't work, and neither does the rear wiper, neither of which are significantly important, however I'd like to get them working at some point. The contact wire on the one side of the defroster on the window has fallen off, any way to repair or otherwise fix this? I haven't dug into why the rear wiper doesn't work, wiring, motor, I don't know on that yet, or even switch in the dash may be bad.

removebe4flight

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Nice BII, I have a 88 as well. I changed out my drive shaft when I did my 8.8 swap. I high recommend this upgrade. when I had the old cv and the u sitting next to each other the u is much beefier. I can't remember where I got it, but I think i paid 200 for a brand new one. If you plan on a lift and the cv isn't messing up I would wait for the lift and have a driveshaft shop build you new shafts. I found out with my 8.8 swap that I needed new flanges to math it. And everything gets longer with a lift. good luck with it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I had the CV shaft rebuilt for now until I can get my hands on the other shaft type. Would I just need the shaft or are there other components that I would need to get it bolted in, or is it a direct swap?

I had the transmission rebuilt in it and its driving pretty good for being 20+ years old. The AC doesn't work, rear wiper and rear defrost doesn't work, the passenger side window rolls up really slow (power windows), the power door locks don't work right so I just manually lock them LOL.

Probably have the AC converted next year and I'll see if I can figure out the rear wiper, the rear defroster will never work as the wires have been pulled off the back window :(.

The hood needs to be sanded down and repainted very soon, its starting to rust in a few places.

Last edited:

removebe4flight

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I got mine off of http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Rear-Driveshaft-Auto-1986-90/productinfo/92440/

It is a direct swap and bolt in.

When I did the 8.8 swap I had to get the differential flange made to fit the driveshaft. But, I knew I had to do that. That is why I was saying if you plan on a 8.8 swap then wait and do it then. If you are good with a wrench all of those item of concern are pretty easy to do. Even the A/C work. I redid my A/C and it blows colder than my wives 2011 Nissan.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I got mine off of http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Rear-Driveshaft-Auto-1986-90/productinfo/92440/

It is a direct swap and bolt in.

When I did the 8.8 swap I had to get the differential flange made to fit the driveshaft. But, I knew I had to do that. That is why I was saying if you plan on a 8.8 swap then wait and do it then. If you are good with a wrench all of those item of concern are pretty easy to do. Even the A/C work. I redid my A/C and it blows colder than my wives 2011 Nissan.
Thank you for the link and reply. I may look into the other drive shaft here soon when I get some other stuff taken care of.

I don't have the tools and equipment to do AC work, I'll leave that to the pro's LOL. Plus having a warranty from the shop that does the work just gives peace of mind. I was quoted about $1500 including labor and a new compressor, condenser, etc.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Added a console from a 94 Explorer today

Also installed a Radio Shack CB Radio

I'm going to run a power wire direct from the battery to a fuse and into a new fuse block and then run power to the CB through there as well as install fog lights later on and possibly other electrical stuff in the future so I think I've got some wiring to do HAHA!!!