•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1988 Bronco II no start

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Evening all. Looking for a little help. Picked up a Bronco II a while back as a project. Had to focus on other things but I'm back to trying to get her running again. When I first picked it up I put in a new fuel tank, lines and fuel pumps. My current issue is that I don't seem to be getting power to the eec relay or the tfi module from the ignition switch with key on. I followed the red/lt gr wire from the ignition switch. Looks like it goes to the fuse panel inside the cab and out into the engine bay. With key on I get power to the fuse panel but no power out to the engine bay. Looks like the wire goes to a round connector and from there it splits off to the tfi and eec relay. I don't have power at that connector either so I'm thinking there is a fuse somewhere in between? Is that right and if so where is it located?

Last edited:

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
When you turn the key on do you get dash lights, radio, blinkers, ect ect ect?

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Well, don't have a radii right now but I get the little seat belt light, turn signal indicators work as well. All other lights work too like headlights and so do gauges.

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Well, turns out it was the wire on the fuse link at the wire bundle near the TFI. The wire was broken inside the sheathing. Now I have a check engine light when I turn the key on. Fuel pumps are firing up. I got a partial ignition but still no start. Guess it is time to check the ignition system.

Last edited:

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Stick to basics. Fuel spark and air. Are you sure it's a spark issue?

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I'm honestly not sure of much on this thing. So im kind of checking everything as i go. When I bought it the last owner had started working on the fuel system because the lines were cracked. He had bought a new fuel tank and new fuel pumps. When I got those in and new lines the fuel pumps weren't turning on. I diagnosed that to no power to the eec relay from the ignition switch. That is now fixed. I'm now getting a check engine light with key on, fuel pumps are turning and and pressure is building to 35-40 psi. I just checked all the spark plug wires and they tested good. I put a test light on one of the spark plugs and it is lighting up. I'm going to pull the plugs and give them a good cleaning as the one that I checked is covered in oil but otherwise very clean.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Sounds like you got a plan. Fuel sounds right.

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Any idea what this goes to? It is just hanging out in the engine bay. Feels like it should plug into something. Drivers side.

Attachments

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Looks like the temp sending unit. Top of the thermostat housing.

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Well, I am back. Finally got a little time to do a little work on the Bronco. She finally has new spark plugs. Still no start but I sprayed a little carb cleaner in the throttle body and she wants to fire. Any thoughts on what I should check next? I'm thinking maybe the fuel injectors might need to be replaced. Who knows how old they are and when the last time was that they ran. Is there anything I should check before going through the trouble of pulling the fuel injectors.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Have you tried starting fluid? If it start with starting fluid then it's a fuel issue. You should get 34 to 40 lbs key on. Auto parts store will have pressure guage.

bronco_d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Yes, pressure is good and it will fire with starter fluid

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
A noid light will be able to determine if injectors are getting pulse to fire, but can't confirm if inector is working.