•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1989 Bronco II fuel tank and pump what will fit?

deltabowhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I have a 1989 Bronco 2 XLT 4wd with the 2.9L engine in it. The fuel pump seems to have gone out so we dropped the tank to replace it. Once the tank was dropped we noticed the tank was rusting out. Will this tank and this fuel pump work? I have attached the picture of my current fuel pump and assembly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel-Tank-Gas-SILVER-29-25-X-24-63-IN-GALVANIZED-STEEL-/230627050506?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1989|Model%3ABronco+II&hash=item35b271840a

http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E2078S-Electric-Fuel-Pump/dp/B000C1IN92

chrwilkins30

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ive never seen the sending unit look like that. the link is what ive seen. Just go down to AZ or Advance and order it there. then you will have it in 3 days and not have to pay shipping and not have to deal with possible wrong parts from online vendors.

dirtcowboy

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
I bought the same parts and put them in my '89, worked just like they said they would. By the by, NAPA wanted almost twice for the same stuff.

89Dog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I also have an 89 BII and did a bit of research on the fuel pump. I'll add my thoughts, for what they are worth, although I ended up not having to replace mine, or have it out of the tank.

From the picture of your pump, this pump itself (the plastic part that is lowest in the tank) I believe you have a system with only one fuel pump. Part way through 89, Ford changed to a one pump system like yours. It is a high pressure pump.

The earlier models had two pumps. The one in the tank was a low pressure pump, and the second mounted on the frame rail, and inline pump, was for high pressure.

The link you provided appears to me to be the low pressure in tank pump for an earlier model. Be sure to verify the pressure output rating of the pump.
It may run, but also it may not deliver the correct fuel pressure you need.

dirtcowboy

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
I also have an 89 BII and did a bit of research on the fuel pump. I'll add my thoughts, for what they are worth, although I ended up not having to replace mine, or have it out of the tank.

From the picture of your pump, this pump itself (the plastic part that is lowest in the tank) I believe you have a system with only one fuel pump. Part way through 89, Ford changed to a one pump system like yours. It is a high pressure pump.

The earlier models had two pumps. The one in the tank was a low pressure pump, and the second mounted on the frame rail, and inline pump, was for high pressure.

The link you provided appears to me to be the low pressure in tank pump for an earlier model. Be sure to verify the pressure output rating of the pump.
It may run, but also it may not deliver the correct fuel pressure you need.
I misspoke, the pump I bought was on ebay, for an 89+ and has 40psi, the older in tank versions had something on the order of 25-30 psi.

deltabowhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Well it gets better. I emailed Airtex this morning to ask them directly. They were very quick on their reply. However, I'm a bit puzzled by it.

I wrote to them,

"I have a 1989 Ford Bronco II XLT 4wd with the 2.9L engine. It has the single in take fuel pump setup. I have attached a picture of what I have now. Nobody seems to be 100% sure on what I need to replace my bad fuel pump. I've been told I need part # E2059MN that would mount to my current sending unit. I've also been told I need part # E2078S that is the fuel pump and sending unit all in one. I'd prefer to use part # E2078S if it will work as my sending unit looks fairly gunked up as well as my float. What part will work for my truck?"

The replied,

"Good morning. The fuel pump for your 1989 Ford Bronco II 2.9l will be an E2059MN. Unfortunately we do not offer the complete assy for this application. The E2078S fits a Ford Ranger pickup but not a Bronco II. If there is anything else I can help you with please feel free to call or email me."

Now I'm extra confused because I thought the Ranger and Bronco 2's used the same fuel pump. All the online parts places say the E2078S will fit. Oreilly's says it will fit, but Auto Zone's site says it won't. I'd sure like to use it if it will work b/c it is about $60 cheaper!

mhughes165

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
im not sure whats so confusing....rangers and bronco 2's have different tanks, simple as that, so of course the complete assembly would be different, the high pressure pump in tank by itself is the same however. so you can interchange just the pump between the two but not the assembly and sending unit

90bII5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So what did you use??? I also have a 90 BII and it came with a e2078s from my brother I was getting ready to put it in but I noticed the fitting oreintation was a little different, does the sending unit work okay in the bII? thanks

azbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
mine went out and I put a explorer pump in the housing and it worked fine got mine from the junkyard for 20 bucks

90bII5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
my pump works but its my fuel gage that doesn't and I allready have the e2078s