•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1990 Bronco 2 won't shift into gear when running

vfeinman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
In my 1990 Ford Bronco 2, I just replaced the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and slave cylinder. Now all reassembled when off I can shift freely into all gears. When running, I can't get into any gear. When I try starting in first, it lunges forward. I've tried bleeding the slave cylinder twice. What's going on?

I'm guessing that there is some issue in the clutch hydraulic system. I didn't replace the master cylinder, should I do that now?

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Master has air in it. Notorious for those models. Did fluid leak out of the hose when you disconnected it? Did your reservoir go dry?

vfeinman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Master has air in it. Notorious for those models. Did fluid leak out of the hose when you disconnected it? Did your reservoir go dry?
Thanks for the reply. A bit of fluid did leak when I disconnected it but not a flow. I did have a hell of a time getting the line connected to the slave cylinder. I imagine all the partial connection attempts could have introduced air. Reservoir never ran dry. If air in the master, how do I bleed the master, is it the same procedure?

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
As much as I hate YouTube there are a few videos showing a few different ways. Like I said, they are notorious.

vfeinman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Have any recommendations for me, I feel like I've been trying all but the correct way? I just tried disconnecting the master while still connected to slave and reservoir. I was able to get it horizontal, then hooked up a vacuum pump to about 20-25 bars in the reservoir. I watched a few large air bubbles escape! I spent 5 minutes or so trying to manipulate the master in different positions to get any more air out, no more bubbles. The vacuum was holding pressure just fine so no leaks in the system. I thought I was golden! I then spent way too long getting the master mounted again, started it up.... Nope, still won't go into gear when running. The clutch pedal feels fine. I'm going to bleed the slave again just in case, but I don't know what else to do.