•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1990 Ford Bronco II

jward78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Okay so looking for some help here. I got my Bronco II up and running and everything seems to be functioning fine except for steering. I replaced steering linkage and had it aligned. I am running 33's under her and it seems to sway back and forth when smashing on the gas in a straight a way and feels like its over steering through turns and dipping a lot! I am going to put on a steering stabilizer in hopes that it will correct the problem, but was there a sway bar for the front end on this year? Mine does not have one and I do not recall if they came with them or not? if not could I install one easily?

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I'm not sure they were on all of them but should had been available.

jward78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Would that even be the cause of something like that? I mean I got a 4 inch lift on the truck installed before I got it. I replaced all the steering linkage parts. its almost as if the body is floating over the axle in the front left and right....? I am running the 33's that are 10.5 wide on a stock rim and 30 psi. I'm sure this doesn't help matters but its scary in a turn at 45 mph feels like the thing is gonna flip over.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
These things are top heavy already... add a lift... add 33 inch tires... on stock 4.5 inch back space wheels. I'll assume you have a D28 up front which is stock width... it's all a recipe that amplifies that feeling.

I'm not saying it can't be improved. A sway bar will help... front AND rear is best.

I know you said it was aligned. Are the ball joints good... radius arm bushings good... drop brackets and suspension components tight and properly installed correctly? How are the body bushings?

Just remember... it's never going to be a great handling vehicle with those mods. But many do it and make it handle acceptable.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Look through these articles... they may help...

jward78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
These things are top heavy already... add a lift... add 33 inch tires... on stock 4.5 inch back space wheels. I'll assume you have a D28 up front which is stock width... it's all a recipe that amplifies that feeling.

I'm not saying it can't be improved. A sway bar will help... front AND rear is best.

I know you said it was aligned. Are the ball joints good... radius arm bushings good... drop brackets and suspension components tight and properly installed correctly? How are the body bushings?

Just remember... it's never going to be a great handling vehicle with those mods. But many do it and make it handle acceptable.
Up front I have the Dana 35 actually... I am one of the fortunate ones LOL... I figured that It definitely will not ride like a porsche LOL. I am going to show some TLC to your recommendations and confirm they are actually 100%. will I have to fabricate anything if I need to add a sway bar? any recommendations in this area? Also I was looking at the James Duff dual shock tower bolt on mod... any thoughts there? I always respect your opinion sir. Thank you

jward78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Look through these articles... they may help...

the Super Runner Steering conversion seems to math what I am explaining completely! can this be installed on my B2?

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
the Super Runner Steering conversion seems to math what I am explaining completely! can this be installed on my B2?
I have the super runner on mine.

You just can't buy them any more... at least from what I've heard.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
You should have a sway bar front and rear. Proper rims for the tires with 3 1/3 to 4” offset.
If your rigs previous owner only used it for trails that would explain the lack of sway bars. It increases articulation but sways all over the road.
Do you have the appropriate drop pitman arm for the lift you have?