•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1994 Explorer Fuel Pump Replacement

tenacious_e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I just got My Self a 1994 explorer For an incredibly Cheap price ($400), Mainly due to a lower Intake manifold leak. But I have also found that the Fuel pump is starting to go out as well, Some times I have to Turn the key several times to get the Pump to unlock What i wanna know is Has anyone tried Cutting a hole Thru the rear Floor of the explorer To make an access panel to get to The pump? As I said it is a a Cheap truck that I will use for hauling and i dont mind hacking at it a little to make Servicing it easier.

BTW I am a former member Of TRS and it has been so lonfg since I have Been Here That my Old account is either Inactive or i just cant remember it.

Ed Cook
Storm Lake, Iowa

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
It does not take long to drop the tank, on the two door any way. I don't think hacking the floor is worth the trouble considering the possible gains, or not.

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Are you sure that it's the fuel pump and not a wiring fault? I'd definitely grab a meter and test to be sure before replacing.

Little X

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Check EF, BURNS has a how-to on cutting a hole and changing the pump.

tenacious_e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I Did as well of an electrical Check as i Could and I Could not Find any Shorts In the Harness And The harness is Getting Power from the relay. When It Does run it Is alot Louder than it Should be

Cutting and patching The Hole will not be a problem, i have Access to a Good metal Shop and can make a New panel Easily

tenacious_e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Where's my Dunce cap at? ;brownbag;

I checked everything electrical from the Relay to the pump, Except for one thing....

Ground wires at The Battery, A previous owner Put one of those el-cheapo Battery terminal clamps On and Cut one of The Ground wires too short, so it was barely held In place by 2 strands. For The time being i Split bolt On an extention and the pump Runs and sounds better Than before.

At least i did not put in all the work and expense into replacing the pump Before finding This