•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.3L potential

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Life is more fun if you own a Ford Bronco II
I was wondering if anyone has put effort into turbo charging the 2.3L I4? If so, what are the HP and torque figures.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Those numbers are directly proportional to the size of your checking account. I've seen a couple RVB's with 2.3L turbo engines. I think they have to spin them up pretty good to make any kind of numbers. I suppose it really depends on the end game on if I would go that route. Most cases I would likely do something different.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Those numbers are directly proportional to the size of your checking account. I've seen a couple RVB's with 2.3L turbo engines. I think they have to spin them up pretty good to make any kind of numbers. I suppose it really depends on the end game on if I would go that route. Most cases I would likely do something different.
Depends on the turbo they use too, some can have pretty stout bottom end power from what I understand.

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Uncle and 85_
My feeling is I don't need a ton of HP. These are light vehicles and 200HP should do the trick for my uses. Bottom end is always nice. A little grunt here and there; oh yeah. Also I was wanting to improve mileage. The 4.0 is a relatively easy swap, provides good power and reliability, but not an improvement over gas mileage. With today's prices, $5.99/ga. in California, that is a big deal. I was thinking a well tuned turbo charged 2.3L would do both.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Depends on the turbo they use too, some can have pretty stout bottom end power from what I understand.
The newer tech does spool up better... but VVT and DI play a big part in the low end power of these newer engines. I don't know enough about them to know how well they work with older tech engines.

Uncle and 85_
My feeling is I don't need a ton of HP. These are light vehicles and 200HP should do the trick for my uses. Bottom end is always nice. A little grunt here and there; oh yeah. Also I was wanting to improve mileage. The 4.0 is a relatively easy swap, provides good power and reliability, but not an improvement over gas mileage. With today's prices, $5.99/ga. in California, that is a big deal. I was thinking a well tuned turbo charged 2.3L would do both.
Well I'm no expert in turbo engines but I see where you're going. But to realize 200 hp on a 2.3L you will be running it pretty hard... there goes your economy.

If I wanted 200 hp and economy... I would do a TDI.

I have no current plans to swap my 2.9L... as long as it doesn't give me any trouble... I'm just going to run it. If it gives me trouble... it's gone. There are two swaps I would do. TDI or a mild built 302 with a Holley Sniper system. I'm not positive... but I bet the TDI done right could be 30MPG. I would also bet my 302 would be on par with a 200 horse 2.3L turbo. If I want economy... I'm buying myself a hybrid Maverick.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
The newer tech does spool up better... but VVT and DI play a big part in the low end power of these newer engines. I don't know enough about them to know how well they work with older tech engines.

Well I'm no expert in turbo engines but I see where you're going. But to realize 200 hp on a 2.3L you will be running it pretty hard... there goes your economy.

If I wanted 200 hp and economy... I would do a TDI.

I have no current plans to swap my 2.9L... as long as it doesn't give me any trouble... I'm just going to run it. If it gives me trouble... it's gone. There are two swaps I would do. TDI or a mild built 302 with a Holley Sniper system. I'm not positive... but I bet the TDI done right could be 30MPG. I would also bet my 302 would be on par with a 200 horse 2.3L turbo. If I want economy... I'm buying myself a hybrid Maverick.
It's a bit fuzzy because it's been awhile ago and didn't really pertain to me we but there was a turbo 4wd guys liked for the Lima that spooled faster than the ones the street guys liked.

This was before ecoboost of any flavor was even heard of.

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
I read the VW TDI is a direct bolt in since the Ford 2.9L is of German descent. How many liters is the VW TDI motor and does it make ample power? Even on par power would be OK considering the improved fuel mileage.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
It needs an adaptor... it won't just bolt up

With a little tune... 200 all day... pretty flatline torque too.

It's been a while since I've researched and don't want to steer you wrong with the preferred engine.

It's not cheap but they have accessory brackets and the rest to make it plug and play.

I need to dig back into this topic and pull the numbers together for costs. Would be a cool package for a Bronco II.

LeBronCo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 1986
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Hey Unc, I watched a video on YouTube about the swap. Way more work than you think. I'm not a fan of cutting crossmembers to get clearance,
LeBronCo

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
It happens all the time... but i do believe with the right parts you don't have to cut anything.

It's a pay me now or fab your own stuff world.

Would still be a good fuel economy package (far better then a 2.3L) and make some sweet power.

I'm gonna have to dig back into this and put a parts list together and add them up.