•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.8 alternator upgrade????

B2 Addict

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok, there used to be a writeup in the tech section, but I can't find it anymore.... anybody know what a simple bolt on alternator upgrade is for the 2.8 ?

:icon_cheers:
B2

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
I have the same question and thinking a 1 wire setup but will keep checking here on what the options are.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
I've used a Powermaster 160 amp alternator for my 2.9 Ranger that was originally intended for a circa 94 F150 5.0. I had to extend the top bracket so it would fit in there but now I have a 160 amp alternator with one wire hookup.

Does the 2.8 have an alternator with mounting holes at 12 and 6 o'clock? If so, the F150 Powermaster probably wouldn't even require an extension to the bracket.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
My stock 2.8L Alternator looks exactly like that Tuff Stuff Alternator.

So by the sounds of this you have to remove wiring to use this? Or were you removing wiring due to an engine swap or Duraspark? Alternator case to mount connection provides ground and one wire to the battery for charging. Is this all I would have to do? Also, this one wire alternator has an internal regulator correct? Sorry if these are stupid questions, just trying to do away with all the unnecessary wiring in my Bronco 2 to make repairs and service easier.

Last edited:

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
Old thread I know, but I wanted to share what I did on my '84 BII with a 2.8 a few months back. I don't know if I got this idea from wildbill's post or if I saw this elsewhere but I sourced a GM alternator spec'd for around an 84 Chevy pickup/suburban, 78 Amp for $61 shipped from amazon, no core charge. You can also source a 63 amp alternator for less, I was able to find a lifetime warranty one at a local autoparts store for $50 ($35 for one year warranty, reman)

The only alteration to the stock mounting is a 1" spacer needs to be put in place on the rear of the lower alternator mounting. I had a piece of bar stock that I drilled a hole in to make work.

The advantage of this GM alternator is easy to wire and cheap, (way less than the Ford 3G alternators people talk about) plentiful alternators should it ever go out on you. Every autoparts store in North America will have an alternator in case you find yourself away from home with a dead one.

Wiring is pretty simple, instead of an external regulator, these have an internal regulator with a three-wire hookup. After having both three wire and one wire alternators, the three wire is just about as easy to hook up and performs better than the one wire. The one wire alternators were mostly meant for special applications besides automotive uses: think generators, tractors, boats, etc. The three wire uses a charging wire, a sense wire and a turn on wire, easy enough to wire and it better responds to the variable load put on the charging system of a vehicle: blinkers, windshield wipers, stereos, etc.