•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.8 Headers?

Swamp-Rat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hi,
Name here is Mike, I have a 1984 BroncoII 2,8 V6 4X4 Auto Trans, I've searched all over for a set of Headers for it! With no luck of coarse, I've been told by several people that the 2.9 Headers will fit, Since I don't know that much about the difference between the 2, could someone please help me with my problem? This is a great Vehicle, This makes my 2nd! I'd rather have my BroncoII than any other SUV on the market, I guess being 61 and set in my way's ( Old Way's that is ) I just like the older car's.
Thanks,
Mike W4MWK ( Swamp-Rat )

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
2.9 headers absolutely will not fit because the port order is different. Edelbrock used to make a header to collector 'Tubular Exhaust System.' At this point it's probably long since out of production. Might get lucky and find a set floating around somewhere if you're patient.

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
2.8 headers are hard to find. Look into the 86 Ford Aerostar They came from the factory with tube headers. Good luck finding one.

Swamp-Rat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
2.8 headers

Hi guy's,
Thanks for the info on the 2.8 Headers, I now know what you mean about the Headers being hard to find, I've been looking now for it seems like forever and of coarse with no luck, I guess it'll be easier to just change my Bronco-II over too a 5.0 V-8 But I'll keep looking for the 2.8 Headers.
Thanks Again,
Mike

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
In about a month or so I will doing a 302 swap from my 2.8. I am running the edelbrock shorty tube headers on mine (got for free) and saw no real if any performance gain but did change how the truck sounds a little.

Pbheadshots

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/8 mix
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Is there something wrong with the headers you got?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I had a set of headers on my 2.8. I sold them when I pulled the engine. If you think the headers will really help that anemic little engine . . nope. It still sucked.

JoshT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Headers by them selves ain't going to do much other than possibly increase sound. What they really improve exhaust flow, though that's not likely to get you much on a stock engine. It will increase the benefits of nearly any other mod you do to the engine, especially those which result in a more free flowing engine (IE: porting, cam, intake).

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I hope that wasn't posted to help me?? :) I build engines, I know what can and cannot happen from modifications. But that little 2.8 is just too small for a BroncoII, having to turn two differentials and the weight of the vehicle. First 2.8 I worked on was in 1984, didn't like it then. Then I ended up owning one ( jeesh ) 25 years later. Couldn't wait to get it out of the truck. I gave it a chance, but it didn't earn any accolades. If you don't have power and you can't deliver decent MPGs, then what is the benefit?? Lousy engine/vehicle combination.

JoshT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Sorry, Pete not everything is about you. I was posting that for anyone who is reading the thread and doesn't know. That being everyone that thinks headers are going to make a huge worth while difference on an otherwise stock engine. I happen to disagree with you about the 2.8L overall, though I agree with you on it's use in this case. The problem with the 2.8L is that it liked to rev, it made its best power in mid to high RPM range, and that's not where you need it for a truck especially a 4wd. Really the problem with the 2.8L is that it was a car engine that Ford tried to make work in a truck (something they seem to do a lot).

My experience with a 2.8L was in a 1984 Ranger Regular Cab Long bed that was 2wd. My dad had worked it over in the late 80s when the factory ignition system pissed him off, so it was already "built" (for what it was) and had a 390 CFM Holley Double pumper, ported heads, long tube headers, Offenhauser Dual-plane intake, and Duraspark II ignition system, and had close to (if not over) 200K miles on the clock. I can say for a fact that that truck had a lot more power than it needed (not necessarily more than I wanted), was extremely reliable, and after I swapped to the vacuum secondary carb it got about the same gas mileage as my 99 4.0L did.

I rebuilt the engine, added a stage II comp cam, and then wrecked the truck before I had a chance to get it dialed back in right. Still got the engine sitting here with less than 3K miles on it. Was going to use it in the 86 I'm building but stumbled on a totaled 98 Explorer V8 donor for 500 bucks. Seemed like as good a time as any to do the swap. Still going to hold on to that 2.8 and find something else to put it in, just not sure what yet.