•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.8 to 302

melbournebum84

Reaction score
I just bought a bronco 2 and pulled out the 2.8 I was debating on rebuilding the 2.8 or just slapping in a 302. I'm wondering what drive line parts I can get away with leaving till they fail. Anyone done the conversion?

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Any chance it's an 84 with the C5 automatic? That would simplify your swap a bit.

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
buy a junked donor truck and your golden, as for re using... you can buy adapters from advance adapters...

www.advanceadapters.com/

a direct link to their online catalog
catalog then look on the left and select ranger... you can find out which adapter you need for what tranny you got.

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
No, not a chance in Hades. There are plenty of full size transmissions out there that will work.

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
yes it would... but your clutch would not... did you read my post about advance adapters?

those transmissions will hold up to 300 ft lbs of torque...

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
That's hilarious. I would love to know where you got this information. The later m5odr1 transmissions are an improvement, but still not reliably capable of being used behind larger displacement motors. Please, do NOT encourage people to do this. There is a very good reason why it is NEVER discussed here in the V8 swap context. It is as much or more expensive to keep the stock transmission by using an adapter as it would be to install a transmission designed for the power. Not switching over is a truly horrific idea.