•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.8L Radiator Replacement, Which Radiator?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Currently my 84 B2 has the 2 core radiator, anyhow its about 2-3" wide, I have a spare radiator from parts given to me, however it is a single core so its about 1-1/2" wide. Would it be ok to use this radiator or do I need that extra core? I don't have A/C and I have a manual transmission.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
if the 2 row lower points down and has provision for auto transmission lines, that is probably radiator from an explorer that someone had put in. it would lower cooling capacity, but non-a/c manual trucks usually had the thinner of the radiators

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
It would be fine to use.

Do "Flip test" on the other rad first, to make sure it's tubes are open.

Flip test:
Put rad cap on.
Place radiator so cooling tubes are running up and down.
Put hand over lower hose opening.
Fill rad to the top via upper rad hose opening.
Stop filling.

Remove hand from lower hose opening, rad should drain instantly
Tilt rad to drain out all the water.

Now the test
Flip rad upside down.....if ANY water comes out it could only come from blocked tubes

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Thanks guys, guess I'll give it a try, before forking out $200+ on a new 2 core radiator.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Well a little update. I went to the junk yard this afternoon, and after looking at every bronco 2, ranger, and explorer, I pulled a radiator out of a 1991 ford explorer. Got it for $45, looks brand new and in fact was a replacement radiator as it has replacement stickers on it. It still had coolant in it which I found out after pulling the lower radiator hose LOL. Coolant drained out a nice bright green so that should be a good sign that the radiator isn't contaminated, also I removed the radiator cap so at least it was still covered so nothing was getting into the radiator. I'm guessing by the way it compares to the radiator currently in my B2 that the one in it now is also an explorer radiator. At least I got one that I know will work, and I can mount it with the brackets over the top of it or with the bolts that go under the top radiator support I took all the fasteners so I can do it either way. Also got an almost new air filter, and oil breather cap as well. Total cost of everything including some parts that a kid needed that went with me that's been working on my B2 came to $68.

Thanks everyone as always for your knowledge. Also, forgot to mention as soon as I got home I did the radiator test as described above, mainly to rinse it out good. Radiator drained almost instantly and didn't have any measurable water pour out after flipping it upside down.