•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

2.9 running horrible

armyhorse86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
i have an 88 bronco 2. it seems to have a problem running while driving, it idles fine but once i start driving it seems to sputter and feels like its misfiring and underpowered. ive checked everything as far as ignition goes, does anyone know what this could be? i thought about replacing all the sensors in it but i would rather pinpoint the problem first.

hidesertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
There are several threads here about engines doing the same thing as yours, mine included, if you scan through them you will get quite a few ideas of what to check. There are even links within the threads to tech sheets to help you through some of the checks. Try reading some of the other posts to see what you have and haven't done.

One thing I saw that made a differance in some cases was to disconnect your O2 sensor and see what happens. The engine will run rich but if it runs better than your O2 sensor may be bad. Didn't work for me. I found that I just needed to replace the "new" split fire plugs with good ole Motorcraft copper plugs.

Good luck

armyhorse86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
well i ended up replacing the o2 sensor anyways, i ran a diagnostics on it and it read "cylinder 1 weak". So now that i know that im probably going to run a compression test

W6e6s6W

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Its missing for shure, Im pretty sure mines running on 5 cylinders now :(
I just replaced the clutch and the last time I drove before, it was missing bad.
Now its not kicking as much as before but its Idling alot lower and it has a decrease in power.